2/2/10

A star, a bow and an attitude

This picture was taken high atop a mountain in Hawaii. The two points of interest (besides the mountains and the sheer altitude that the picture was taken) is the bright star at the left (Mars at its closest to Earth) and the rainbow which is really not a rainbow called a fog bow. Understanding how Mars can be so bright is easy because of its closeness to Earth, but the fog bow?? Frankly, I am not sure I understand the reasons for its formation, but I know such a thing exists and perhaps someday I will do the research and know. But not today; I am tired and just don't feel up to it. Ever feel like that? You have just had enough and need to come to an acceptance of truth without knowing everything. If you have, then you and the patriarch Job have something in common. Here is an interesting passage from the book that bears his name.

Job 42:1-8 WEB (R)
(1) Then Job answered Yahweh,
(2) "I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be restrained.
(3) You asked, 'Who is this who hides counsel without knowledge?' therefore I have uttered that which I did not understand, things too wonderful for me, which I didn't know.
(4) You said, 'Listen, now, and I will speak; I will question you, and you will answer me.'
(5) I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you.
(6) Therefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes."
(7) It was so, that after Yahweh had spoken these words to Job, Yahweh said to Eliphaz the Temanite, "My wrath is kindled against you, and against your two friends; for you have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job has.
(8) Now therefore, take to yourselves seven bulls and seven rams, and go to my servant Job, and offer up for yourselves a burnt offering; and my servant Job shall pray for you, for I will accept him, that I not deal with you according to your folly. For you have not spoken of me the thing that is right, as my servant Job has."


For me, the book of Job has always been a hard one to read because of the complexity of the argumentation and the wordiness of it. Yes, even I have my limits and although I like to think I understand the book, yet its middle eastern methods of expression I find difficult at times. This much is certain, Job reaches a point of humility and repentance, which is exactly where he needed to be. God gives him credit for speaking that which is right and the question of why do the righteous suffer is resolved in the answer that only God really knows. Its not up to us to know everything; you can't. What we all can do is trust God and do the right thing. You see it really doesn't matter how God makes a rainbow or a fog bow for that matter; but it does matter how we respond to him. Therein lies true the true beauty of the human being and that is better than the brightest star in heaven or the most unusual bow we may ever be blessed to see.