3/31/10

Scared?

Sometimes size does not matter. This is one of those times. This little cat is scaring the daylights out of the much bigger dog. Its a little surprising to see, yet it does happen. Reminds me of something that happened in 1968. I was working nights as a trash collector in Cohoes, NY and it was a cold rainy night, very dark night. We just pulled up to a collection of about eight cans (this was the city after all) and I had just reached out to take off the lid, when Mitch (my co-worker) distracted me for a second. I felt something on my arm and when I turned to look I saw... the beady red eyes of a rat!! One very large rat!! I yelled and the beast scurried back to its feast among the garbage. One hour later, Mitch was bit by one of these lovely creatures and went to the hospital. Scary? You bet! But somehow I made it through those days. This episode reminded me of this familiar Psalm.

Ps 23:1-6 (WEB)
23:1 A Psalm by David. Yahweh is my shepherd: I shall lack nothing.
23:2 He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters.
23:3 He restores my soul. He guides me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
23:4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me. Your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
23:5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil. My cup runs over.
23:6 Surely goodness and loving kindness shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in Yahweh’s house forever.

Life is full of danger and none of us are immune to the possibility of being hurt. It doesn't matter how big you are, or how strong, or how young. You can be hurt. But for those who trust in God, there is something extra, some confidence that only comes from above that sees us through. Of course, you have to sensible and avoid little claws, but if God is with you...it really doesn't make a difference what crawls up your arm and stares you in the eye. You have help!