6/14/10

Its not the start, but the finish that counts!

Before you ask.... no, this isn't a post about Papal authority or sex or a commentary on authority in general. The only thing it is about is a conversation I had with a pharmacist friend of mine and an article he showed me about a recent step the current pontiff is going to take to do things "correctly" in the Roman Catholic Church. Just to set the record straight... I am NOT a fan of Catholicism and see much error there, BUT. Admitting guilt and promising to try to do better (my interpretation) is a good start and with THAT IN MIND, I thought of the following passage.

Matthew 19:16-22 (WEB)
16) Behold, one came to him and said, “Good teacher, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?”
17) He said to him, “Why do you call me good? No one is good but one, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”
18) He said to him, “Which ones?” Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder.’ ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ ‘You shall not steal.’ ‘You shall not offer false testimony.’
19) ‘Honor your father and mother.’ And, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’”
20) The young man said to him, “All these things I have observed from my youth. What do I still lack?”
21) Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have, and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”
22) But when the young man heard the saying, he went away sad, for he was one who had great possessions.
(Matthew 19:16-22, WEB)

The rich young man had an insight into truth and a practiced religion that was praiseworthy. Jesus knew his problem and confronted him directly. His true love was revealed and money kept him from following Jesus. Notice, Jesus didn't tell him he was a bad person or even an unfaithful Jew, instead he invited him to be "perfect" and be one of Jesus' followers. The young man had made a good start, but ended badly; I sincerely hope the current pontiff will do better.