6/18/10

Slow of speech

When I saw this today, I thought of my youngest grand-daughter, who is just learning to speak and I marveled at this form of communication that we so matter-of-factly use. I don't think I will ever be able to pronounce this, but if not, so what? Its not necessary if I do or don't, just interesting. But what if I was given something REALLY, REALLY, IMPORTANT TO SAY??? Moses was put in this position and here is how he handled it.

Exodus 4:10-17 (WEB)
10) Moses said to Yahweh, “O Lord, I am not eloquent, neither before now, nor since you have spoken to your servant; for I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue.”
11) Yahweh said to him, “Who made man’s mouth? Or who makes one mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Isn’t it I, Yahweh?
12) Now therefore go, and I will be with your mouth, and teach you what you shall speak.”
13) He said, “Oh, Lord, please send someone else.”
14) The anger of Yahweh was kindled against Moses, and he said, “What about Aaron, your brother, the Levite? I know that he can speak well. Also, behold, he comes out to meet you. When he sees you, he will be glad in his heart.
15) You shall speak to him, and put the words in his mouth. I will be with your mouth, and with his mouth, and will teach you what you shall do.
16) He will be your spokesman to the people; and it will happen, that he will be to you a mouth, and you will be to him as God.
17) You shall take this rod in your hand, with which you shall do the signs.”
(Exodus 4:10-17, WEB)

Moses didn't handle it at all; he tried to back out! God was angry with him, but made allowances for his weakness. Somehow, it seems strange for MOSES to act like this, but then, I can't imagine being given something this important by God. Moses knew his weaknesses, but God overcame them and used him for a truly great work. Humm, I wonder, could Aaron pronounce this sign? Not necessary, its not in Hebrew!!!