3/28/12

The cost of flying high: vigilance


High? You bet it is!  To the moon... well, not a chance!!!  Its just photographic trickery, but it is nice to think about such things!!!  This picture reminds me of the song Frank Sinatra sang a long time ago.... "Fly me to the moon".  Filled with metaphors and allusions to love it is an interesting exercise into saying one thing and meaning another.  As a Christian I am also reminded of heaven and marvel at what it must be like there.  And so we come to Paul's second letter to the Corinthians...

WEB: II Corinthians Chapter 12

[1] It is doubtless not profitable for me to boast. For I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord. [2] I know a man in Christ, fourteen years ago (whether in the body, I don’t know, or whether out of the body, I don’t know; God knows), such a one caught up into the third heaven. [3] I know such a man (whether in the body, or outside of the body, I don’t know; God knows), [4] how he was caught up into Paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter. [5] On behalf of such a one I will boast, but on my own behalf I will not boast, except in my weaknesses. [6] For if I would desire to boast, I will not be foolish; for I will speak the truth. But I refrain, so that no man may think more of me than that which he sees in me, or hears from me. [7] By reason of the exceeding greatness of the revelations, that I should not be exalted excessively, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me, that I should not be exalted excessively. [8] Concerning this thing, I begged the Lord three times that it might depart from me. [9] He has said to me, "“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”" Most gladly therefore I will rather glory in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest on me.

Three heavens?  The early Christians thought of heaven as first, the air around us; that which we can see as far as the clouds.  Second, the stars in the sky and lastly, that abode beyond the stars where God is.  The first two I understand easily, but the last one is a bit more difficult.  Paul was a bit overwhelmed by the vision, so it must have been magnificent.  So wonderful in fact that he was given a "thorn in the flesh" in order that he would not be "exalted excessively".   I guess I will never truly understand what Paul say (until I actually see him) but I do understand a little about the "thorn in the flesh" business.  Sometimes, the closer you get to God, the more Satan works on you.  Its as if the higher you fly to God, the more you are in Satan's cross-hairs.  I guess everything has its price, even growing closer to the Almighty.  As for me, I intend to fly as high as I can, (even to the moon, if you will) but I also intend to be watchful because my soul is at stake.