3/25/12

Ethics


About a decade ago, I worked for a chemical company in New Jersey.  I worked in the technical service department which comprised two of the approximately 60 labs.  Nice place to work, good benefits, good wages, etc..  However, there was one "not-so-nice" thing about it; if you put your bagged lunch in the cafeteria refrigerator, it might NOT be there come lunch time.  So, I ate out most of the time because it was VERY ANNOYING to have my lunch stolen.  Now, I understand that cultures vary, but I never did quite get it that it was "OK" to steal someone else's meal.  This reminded me of a passage from Paul's letter to the Thessalonians...


WEB: II Thessalonians Chapter 3

[7] For you know how you ought to imitate us. For we didn’t behave ourselves rebelliously among you, [8] neither did we eat bread from anyone’s hand without paying for it, but in labor and travail worked night and day, that we might not burden any of you; [9] not because we don’t have the right, but to make ourselves an example to you, that you should imitate us. [10] For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: “If anyone will not work, neither let him eat.”

OK, there are times when anyone can be strapped for funds; so I can understand the need for food stamps and welfare (personally, I think it should be limited to a two year period) but that does not make stealing acceptable.  A something-for-nothing attitude will eventually bankrupt this country.  I learned early in life that if I wanted something I was expected to work for it.  Whether it was money for a date, a new shirt or even a dress pair of shoes, I knew it would be a waste of time to ask because the answer was always a NO!  I think the inventor of the security lunch bags is a true genius, but I just wish I had known about them in New Jersey!!!