3/10/12

A sign of the times: How do you read it?



From a certain perspective this is true.  Things were better ten years ago.  Imagine actually looking for work today?  I wouldn't want to be in the job market right now.  However, I take issue with the second conclusion.  We do have hope; as long as we are faithful to the God of Heaven, we DO HAVE HOPE.  Just because things look bad does not mean that God does not see our problems and care.  Here is one example from the old testament...

WEB: I Kings Chapter 17

[10] So he arose and went to Zarephath; and when he came to the gate of the city, behold, a widow was there gathering sticks: and he called to her, and said, “Please get me a little water in a vessel, that I may drink.”

[11] As she was going to get it, he called to her, and said, “Please bring me a morsel of bread in your hand.”

[12] She said, “As Yahweh your God lives, I don’t have a cake, but a handful of meal in the jar, and a little oil in the jar. Behold, I am gathering two sticks, that I may go in and bake it for me and my son, that we may eat it, and die.”

[13] Elijah said to her, “Don’t be afraid. Go and do as you have said; but make me of it a little cake first, and bring it out to me, and afterward make some for you and for your son. [14] For thus says Yahweh, the God of Israel, ‘The jar of meal shall not empty, neither shall the jar of oil fail, until the day that Yahweh sends rain on the earth.’”

[15] She went and did according to the saying of Elijah: and she, and he, and her house, ate many days. [16] The jar of meal didn’t empty, neither did the jar of oil fail, according to the word of Yahweh, which he spoke by Elijah.

The widow was giving up; she was preparing to die.  How low do you have to be before you reach this state?  Very low indeed!!!!  But God worked through Elijah to provide for her (verse 15).  Things may be bad today, but they are not that bad.  The sign focuses on the negative, but what about the positive.  What do we have today?  For one thing we have our minds, we have a certain measure of health and the possibility for a better future.  And one more thing, we have the memory of ten years of life and that is no small thing indeed.  Besides, how do we know if God isn't preparing someone to help us get through whatever tough days lie ahead.  I wonder, is that person a Republican or a Libertarian?  We will know in November!!!!