4/22/12

Which way should I go...?


Today, at South side congregation in Zephyrhills,Fl. Daniel Stearsman gave us an excellent lesson from Jeremiah the prophet.  As he spoke I looked at my Greek Bible (The Septuagint) and I noticed something odd.  The word for "old" was the Greek word for everlasting.  Thinking it was a fluke, I opened the kindle fire application that showed the Hebrew word meanings and sure enough, one of the meanings was everlasting.  Now, I know this is all a bit technical, if not a bit GEEKY, but, hey, I am what I am!!!  Its just that I have heard at least six or more lessons on this same passage and never once, EVER thought of everlasting!!!!   There was something about the lesson that just struck home to me.  Its focus on the words, Stand, See, Ask, the good way, walk and rest were all questions a traveler would use.  I list both the passage and an except from a commentary for you to think about...


WEB: Jeremiah 6:16. Thus says Yahweh, “Stand in the ways and see, and ask for the old (emphasis from Gary) paths, ‘Where is the good way?’ and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. But they said, ‘We will not walk in it.’

 From Keil and Delitzsch
  "The Lord has not left any lack of instruction and warning. He has marked out for them the way of salvation in the history of the ancient times. It is to this reference is made when they, in ignorance of the way to walk in, are called to ask after the everlasting paths. This thought is clothed thus: they are to step forth upon the ways, to place themselves where several ways diverge from one another, and inquire as to the everlasting paths, so as to discover which is the right way, and then on this they are to walk. ... This meaning is not to be inferred from the fact, that in Jer 18:15 everlasting paths are opposed to untrodden ways; indeed this very passage teaches that the everlasting ways are the right ones, from which through idolatry the people have wandered into unbeaten paths. Thus the paths of the old time are here the ways in which Israel's godly ancestors have trod; meaning substantially, the patriarchs' manner of thinking and acting."

 Whereas Daniel used a computer to project a divergence of a road in a Forest, I chose a picture of a stream.  I did this to emphasize the deliberateness of the choice involved.  In a forest you might choose one path or another, change your mind quickly and go the other way; a stream requires a more careful decision, as once you have elected one path, it is MUCH HARDER TO CHANGE!!!! To me, it reflects life more accurately, because once we decide to live our lives a certain way, IT IS SO, SO HARD TO CHANGE!!!!  Today left a profound impact on me and if Daniel should happen to read this, I hope he realizes what a great job he did!!!  All this made me think of what I will do with the rest of my life and after all, wasn't that the point of the passage in the first place!!!!