7/12/12

get on the stick...


Not every new idea is a good one, but this one sure is!!!  I can't even begin to guess how many mornings I have started to make toast and then realized the butter was no where to be found, let alone a knife to spread it!!!  Sometimes, ideas may not seem to be good at first, then much later you realize their value.  Here is one such case, concerning a young man called John Mark....

Acts, Chapter 15
  36 After some days Paul said to Barnabas, “Let’s return now and visit our brothers in every city in which we proclaimed the word of the Lord, to see how they are doing.”  37 Barnabas planned to take John, who was called Mark, with them also.  38 But Paul didn’t think that it was a good idea to take with them someone who had withdrawn from them in Pamphylia, and didn’t go with them to do the work.  39 Then the contention grew so sharp that they separated from each other. Barnabas took Mark with him, and sailed away to Cyprus,  40 but Paul chose Silas, and went out, being commended by the brothers to the grace of God.  41 He went through Syria and Cilicia, strengthening the assemblies.

2 Timothy, Chapter 4
6 For I am already being offered, and the time of my departure has come.  7 I have fought the good fight. I have finished the course. I have kept the faith.  8 From now on, there is stored up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will give to me on that day; and not to me only, but also to all those who have loved his appearing.  9 Be diligent to come to me soon,  10 for Demas left me, having loved this present world, and went to Thessalonica; Crescens to Galatia, and Titus to Dalmatia.  11 Only Luke is with me. Take Mark, and bring him with you, for he is useful to me for service.

The apostle Paul was a brilliant man, chosen by God to spread the Good News of God to the gentiles.  God gave him insight into his will and much of the New Testament was written by him.  But Paul was NOT A PERFECT MAN!!! He was mistaken about John Mark and near the end of his life realized it (see the 2 Timothy passage above).  Its nice to know that people can change for the better (or maybe in John Mark's case, vindicated) and hopefully that will be true for all of us.  Don't let your judgment be so inflexible that you cannot change.  In other words... get a new stick (and I don't mean butter, either)!

note to self... practice what you preach!!!!!