7/31/12

The test

Go ahead, take the test!!!  Probably like a lot of us, I forgot that buses have entrances on the right side only... so I failed.  Stupid, right?  Maybe, but maybe not so stupid!  School buses are the familiar things of youth and its been a long, long time since I fell into that category!!!!  When I was young, I just wanted to grow up, but now that I'm older, how I wish I could be young again.  When I think of children in the Bible, I think of these words of Jesus and how it applies to my life...

Matthew, Chapter 18
1 In that hour the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who then is greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven?”

  2 Jesus called a little child to himself, and set him in their midst, 3 and said, 
"“Most certainly I tell you, unless you turn, and become as little children, you will in no way enter into the Kingdom of Heaven. 4 Whoever therefore humbles himself as this little child, the same is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.  5 Whoever receives one such little child in my name receives me,  6 but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to stumble, it would be better for him that a huge millstone should be hung around his neck, and that he should be sunk in the depths of the sea.

What makes a person great in the eyes of others?  Great job, wealth, fame or accomplishments such as inventing something or being a war hero like Audie Murphy was in World War II?  Perhaps, but what about those of us who are spiritually inclined?  Could our greatness be determined by how well we know our Bible, or how many Bible classes we have taught, or how much Greek or Hebrew we know?  Suppose you were a missionary or a professor in a Christian college or even the local preacher who labored bringing souls to Christ and then labored once again by trying to keep them faithful?  All those are marvelous things and in fact I think we ALL should do everything we can for the cause of Christ.  But look at what Jesus focuses on; the humble heart of a child!!!  Children are eager to learn, humble of heart and most of all...teachable.  I don't ever want to grow up; Lord help me to be like a little child when it comes to you!!!  If you can say these words, great; if not, why not?  Something to think about on a hot summers day in Florida!!!