10/27/12

Not the obvious choice....


This election is an important one, so vote!!!!  But, it is hard for me to decide what to do this year!!!!  Personally, there was never really a choice as to whether or not President Obama should be re-elected; he should not!!!!  But, to vote for Mitt Romney?  If he were a true conservative, the choice would be much, much easier; but, alas, HE IS NOT!  For many years, I have always voted for the lesser of two evils, but I really don't feel comfortable in doing that. I like Ron Paul, but he has practically zero chance of being elected.  So, do I abstain from voting, or sign in a write-in candidate that will never, ever stand a chance of being elected?  I have a problem; a big problem!!!!  So, yesterday, I saw the picture at the top on facebook and did a little investigation.  It occurred to me that barring any obvious scandles, candidates who have presented themselves as God fearing people should be my first choice.  This thinking is "OK", but not great.  So, I turned to the Bible...

Matthew, Chapter 22
 15 Then the Pharisees went and took counsel how they might entrap him in his talk.  16 They sent their disciples to him, along with the Herodians, saying, “Teacher, we know that you are honest, and teach the way of God in truth, no matter whom you teach, for you aren’t partial to anyone.  17 Tell us therefore, what do you think? Is it lawful to pay taxes to Caesar, or not?”

  18 But Jesus perceived their wickedness, and said,"“Why do you test me, you hypocrites?  19 Show me the tax money.”"

They brought to him a denarius.

  20 He asked them, "“Whose is this image and inscription?”"

  21 They said to him, “Caesar’s.”

Then he said to them, "“Give therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.”"


Romans, Chapter 13

1 Let every soul be in subjection to the higher authorities, for there is no authority except from God, and those who exist are ordained by God.  2 Therefore he who resists the authority, withstands the ordinance of God; and those who withstand will receive to themselves judgment.  3 For rulers are not a terror to the good work, but to the evil. Do you desire to have no fear of the authority? Do that which is good, and you will have praise from the same,  4 for he is a servant of God to you for good. But if you do that which is evil, be afraid, for he doesn’t bear the sword in vain; for he is a servant of God, an avenger for wrath to him who does evil. 5 Therefore you need to be in subjection, not only because of the wrath, but also for conscience’ sake. 6 For this reason you also pay taxes, for they are servants of God’s service, attending continually on this very thing.  7 Give therefore to everyone what you owe: taxes to whom taxes are due; customs to whom customs; respect to whom respect; honor to whom honor. 

Question to self: Do I just vote for the "lesser evil"; knowing full well that the LDS church is not even remotely what most people who call themselves Christians would classify as being a genuine Christian?  Should religion even be considered in a secular matter such as this?  That can't be right, for suppose a Satanist were to run for the office?  So, again I have a problem!!!  I would appreciate your prayers, as I don't see any clear cut course of action!  I still have a few days to think about it, pray about it and study.  I hope you will as well!!!