10/15/12

Worth remembering


Some of these I am very familiar with and use often ("A piece of work" and "what's done is done"), but others were a surprise to me. I had no idea that he said things like "fair play", "foul play" or "lie low".  Then I thought of Jesus and the two things that came to my mind were from the following two passages of Scripture...

Luke, Chapter 23
 33 When they came to the place that is called The Skull, they crucified him there with the criminals, one on the right and the other on the left.
  34 Jesus said, "“Father, forgive them, for they don’t know what they are doing.”"


John, Chapter 19
 30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, "“It is finished.”" He bowed his head, and gave up his spirit.

 Jesus was all about forgiveness and accomplished it for all who obey him.  I know that there are many, many other things he said that are memorable (Matthew chapter 5 to 7 for example) but the ones I listed above are there because they mean I have hope.  I know that I am a flawed human being and deserve punishment for the sins I have committed in my life, but if Jesus wants me to be forgiven and has accomplished the means for my forgiveness... all I have to do is to obey his Gospel (see Acts, chapter 2) and be faithful.  That's it... he will take care of the rest.  To some, Shakespeare may seem far more eloquent and memorable, but to me, Jesus' simple words will be remembered long after the memory of Shakespeare  has been forgotten.