12/16/12

MY VERY BEST FRIEND

Bill Cosby



Click on the above link to view!




 
James Taylor


You've got a friend




When you're down and troubled and you need a helping hand
and nothing, whoa, nothing is going right.
Close your eyes and think of me and soon I will be there to brighten up even your darkest nights.

You just call out my name, and you know where ever I am
I'll come running to see you again.
Winter, spring, summer, or fall, all you have to do is call and I'll be there, yeah, yeah,
you've got a friend.

If the sky above you should turn dark and full of clouds
and that old north wind should begin to blow,
keep your head together and call my name out loud.
Soon I will be knocking upon your door.
You just call out my name, and you know where ever I am
I'll come running to see you again.
Winter, spring, summer, or fall, all you have to do is call and I'll be there.

Hey, ain't it good to know that you've got a friend? People can be so cold.
They'll hurt you and desert you. Well, they'll take your soul if you let them,
oh yeah, but don't you let them.

You just call out my name, and you know where ever I am
I'll come running to see you again.
Winter, spring, summer, or fall, all you have to do is call, Lord, I'll be there, yeah, yeah,
you've got a friend. You've got a friend.
Ain't it good to know you've got a friend. Ain't it good to know you've got a friend.
Oh, yeah, yeah, you've got a friend. 

 Usually, I complete the blog posts first thing in the morning, but today was different.  I made the ones for Mark Copeland and my daily Bible Reading Plan and actually started to do one based just on the Bill Cosby video above, but something didn't feel right.  I can't put it into words, but somehow I just KNEW I need to stop.  And then I drove to Zephyrhills for church services. On the way there, I heard the above song from James Taylor and something clicked.  Then came the best couple of hours in the week--meeting with those who love Jesus and can tolerate me as well!!!  Wow, I enjoyed BOTH a great Bible class and a simply wonderful sermon!!!!  And the fellowship of kindred minds always fills my heart with joy!!!!  So, what a morning I had!!!!  Then, it hit me... friends and family may fail me, companions desert me, but Jesus NEVER WILL.  Which of course, led me to this passage from the book of John...

John, Chapter 15
 12  “This is my commandment, that you love one another, even as I have loved you.   13  Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.   14  You are my friends, if you do whatever I command you.   15  No longer do I call you servants, for the servant doesn’t know what his lord does. But I have called you friends, for everything that I heard from my Father, I have made known to you.   16  You didn’t choose me, but I chose you, and appointed you, that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain; that whatever you will ask of the Father in my name, he may give it to you. 

Truthfully, I have had more people let me down than I would even like to think about--both friends and "family".  However, I can honestly say that God has never let me down.  Corrected me, disciplined me, but never let me down.  His patience with me is beyond belief!!!  Somehow, the words of the Taylor song apply so well to God that they could be "Taylor made".  Better than words is the fact that Jesus backed his statements up with his very life.  Want to know if someone is really our FRIEND?  Ask yourself: What would they give up to save you from certain destruction?  The only person that I can think of that would say EVERYTHING IS JESUS.  How is that for one mind-blowing thought for today???