1/7/13

A Ribbon in the sky, a song and the inevitable revelation




Click On The Above Link To View


Once in awhile I plan what I will write, but the vast majority of the time, I do not.  Today falls into the second category.  I sat down to the computer and atypically, just started to look at some pictures for fun.  Then I saw this picture and Stevie Wonder's song "Ribbons in the sky" started playing in my head.  I wasn't thinking, it was just an automatic sort of thing.  From there, it was a very short trip to this passage from the book of Mark....

Mark, Chapter 14
 55 Now the chief priests and the whole council sought witnesses against Jesus to put him to death, and found none.  56 For many gave false testimony against him, and their testimony didn’t agree with each other.  57 Some stood up, and gave false testimony against him, saying,  58 “We heard him say, ‘I will destroy this temple that is made with hands, and in three days I will build another made without hands.’”  59 Even so, their testimony did not agree. 

  60  The high priest stood up in the midst, and asked Jesus, “Have you no answer? What is it which these testify against you?”  61 But he stayed quiet, and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, “Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?” 

  62  Jesus said, “I am. You will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming with the clouds of the sky.”

Life without God is a dreary thing.  The excitement of youth gives way to responsibility of adulthood and then comes the realization of old age and the certainty of one's demise.  There are bright spots, however; your first love, first child, that first house that is really yours.  And as you go through this unfolding saga, there are signposts along the way - like a ribbon in the sky, which may remind you of a loved one.  For Christians, Jesus' life is a reminder of the hope to come.  His story is not a fairy tale, but history.  And Jesus' own prophetic revelation of the future tells of a future sign in the sky that will signal his return with great power.  He will eventually "set things aright", so keep looking up, for someday he will come.  I wonder... what will your reaction be?  Will this "sign" be received with fear or joy?  Only you can answer that and for your sake I hope it is joy!!!