1/11/13

Remembering what is important


Buttermilk Falls, in Melrose, N.Y.

An old friend of mine (Walter Vogt) put the above picture of Buttermilk Falls on facebook recently.  My memories of the falls are of summer and the many times my younger brother Dave and I went swimming there.  So, a winter scene was refreshing to see.  The thing is- I have been there in the winter, but I didn't pay any attention to the falls- I was just too busy kissing my girlfriend!!!  Over the past few years I have been getting more and more forgetful and the thought of that is a little upsetting, but I am not alone!!!  Paul, had this problem as well...

1 Corinthians, Chapter 1

10 Now I beg you, brothers, through the name of our Lord, Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfected together in the same mind and in the same judgment.  11 For it has been reported to me concerning you, my brothers, by those who are from Chloe’s household, that there are contentions among you.  12 Now I mean this, that each one of you says, “I follow Paul,” “I follow Apollos,” “I follow Cephas,” and, “I follow Christ.”  13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized into the name of Paul?  14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, except Crispus and Gaius,  15 so that no one should say that I had baptized you into my own name.  16 (I also baptized the household of Stephanas; besides them, I don’t know whether I baptized any other.)

Paul didn't remember exactly how many people he baptized and the thought of that makes me feel a lot better.  What was in his memory, though, was concern over the brethren at Corinth.  In ancient times, Roman culture was based on the patron system.  That is, those with power granted favors (we might say took care of their friends today).  Naturally, if someone was taking care of you, there would be a measure of loyalty involved.  Since basic subsistence was often involved; we are talking about LOYALTY EXEMPLIFIED!!! Suddenly, the division seen in Corinthians becomes a bit more understandable.  Ultimately, it is Jesus that is most important and that is what they needed to know!!!  Same goes for us as well!!!  Somehow, I just can't remember anything more important!!!!!
Anyway, thanks for the picture, Walter!!!