2/12/13

Friendship


This is one of those "Ahhh" pictures.  I can relate a little bit to the guy on the right, as weight watchers meetings have forced me to think about it some.  What is amazing to me is that in spite of my appearance, I still have good friends; people who genuinely care about me.  The overwhelming majority of my friends art Christians and that is really no big surprise because Christians are supposed to love one another.  Consider this passage from John chapter 15 for a bit...

John, Chapter 15
12  “This is my commandment, that you love one another, even as I have loved you.   13 Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.   14  You are my friends, if you do whatever I command you.   15  No longer do I call you servants, for the servant doesn’t know what his lord does. But I have called you friends, for everything that I heard from my Father, I have made known to you.   16  You didn’t choose me, but I chose you, and appointed you, that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain; that whatever you will ask of the Father in my name, he may give it to you.

I can honestly say that of all the friends I have ever made, Jesus stands out above them all.  Many people will claim to be your friend, but when they have to give up something or hurt because of you- well, they disappear. A good friend will be there throughout any difficulty or obstacle- caring about you, understanding you (or trying to, anyway).  For me, Jesus fits the bill and I know with absolute certainty he is my friend because he sacrificed himself for me.  I feel like the elephant in the picture; fat, depressed, alone, discouraged.  But, right next to me is one who cares and always will.  All I have to do is to love him in return and listen to and do his will.  Nice bargain!!!

PS. As of last night's sign in- I am down 55 pounds doing the weight watcher's program.  Hooray!!! (Only 100 pounds to go)