2/21/13

THE QUICK FIX by Gary Womack


THE QUICK FIX

In our society we have a pill for seemingly every ailment imaginable and many pills designed to help us cope with all sorts of things such as hyperactivity, depression, anxiety, etc. We even have pills to help us to overcome our addictions. We have pills to curb our appetite so we won't overeat. We have pills to help us to stop smoking. And now, surely the ultimate remedy of all times, there is a pill for those who are addicted to shopping. Can you believe it? Yes, I said -shopping. Surely I have heard everything now! However, I have serious doubts as to the effectiveness of such an addiction remedy.
These remedies for our poor choices in life are looked to for hope in correcting what we have let "get out of hand." They are the "quick fix" for a society who wants instant gratification. Some such remedies are merely a source of making money on those who are in desperation and don't know where to turn. While such pills may have some physiological effect, there is no substitute for will power in overcoming many habits that have been labeled as addictions.
Paul spoke of this novel remedy in 1 Cor. 9:27 when he said, "I discipline my body and bring it into subjection..." This was an act of the will. Some call it "mind over matter." In these words, we find that he "took control" of his own body and, by his choice, made his body to submit to the will of his mind. Such an attitude contrasts those who give in to the cravings of the body and allow their body to rule their thinking. This is called a lack of will power, or as the scriptures put it, giving in to the "lusts of the flesh." For those of this less disciplined sort, the issue remains "mind over matter;" except in their case, if they don't mind, it doesn't matter. Self-discipline is not a matter for the faint of heart. It requires deliberate effort and its outcome is never the result of indifference.
The word "discipline" has with it the idea of "following" a particular line of thought so as to "learn" something. That is why those who followed Jesus to hear His teachings were called "disciples." Normally, we think of such a process of learning as that which requires both teacher and learner. It is most commonly thought of as a cooperative effort. However, when self discipline is considered, we find that it is a process involving ones own application of that which one knows to be true. Even the process of learning involves self discipline because it demands the focusing of ones attention to that which is to be learned as well as internalizing it and applying it in an appropriate response to what the conscience demands as right.
Therefore, the lack of self discipline is the failure to make application of what we know is right, even in defiance of what our conscience does not approve. An example of this is seen in the person who is tempted to light up that first cigarette. The conscience may say no, while the mind is weighing the alternatives and concludes that the desire to gain the approval of piers, or the dread of ridicule by them, outweighs the reasons not to do so. The will at this point kicks in and "gives in" to the temptation and the body takes over in "doing its own thing."
Does this not sound like what James said in regard to sin? "But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death." (Jas. 1:14-15) In an effort to assume no responsibility in such matters, some like to blame God. The homosexual says he was "born that way" and so this excuses him or her from being responsible for what they call an "alternative lifestyle." However, God still calls it a sin, any way that you look at it. (See Rom. 1:24-32) The excuse that God is the cause for our addictions (sins) is the ground on which James based his argument; "Let no one say when he is tempted, 'I am tempted by God'; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone." (Jas. 1:13)
The best remedy for bad habits is not to engage in them in the first place. As Peter said, "Beloved, I beg you as sojourners and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts which war against the soul, having your conduct honorable among the Gentiles, that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may, by your good works which they observe, glorify God in the day of visitation." (1 Pet. 2:11-12) James wisely advises us to "submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you." (Jas. 4:7)
But what about those who are "hooked" and want relief from that to which they are addicted? There are no magic pills that will remove temptation. However, God's word can be a powerful influence if we will study it and meditate on its message. Attitude is a major factor of the will. Consider; "...reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts. And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. For sin shall not have dominion over you." (Rom. 6:11-14)
There is comfort in the scriptures that reminds us that we are not alone in our battle over the flesh. Even exemplary men like Paul wrestled against the flesh; "For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good." (Rom. 7:15-21) We can sympathize with his frustration; "O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?" (vs. 24)
As for the addicted shopper - a dose of contentment may be in order; "Let your conduct be without covetousness, and be content with such things as you have." (Heb. 13:5)
- Gary V. Womack -