3/12/13

From Gary... THE CATCH IS...


This is a very recent (March 11, 2013) picture of my wife, Linda.  For those who have known her for a long time, you will undoubtedly notice that she has some grey hair and some wrinkles and has lost some weight recently (32 pounds- weight watchers).  Those who are unacquainted with her will probably notice the smock first.  And that little item will be the focal point of today's post!!!  She started volunteering at a local hospital recently and excuse my pride, but I am very proud of her.  She has made a priority of caring for others in her retirement years and that is something to be proud of.  As the passage from Matthew shows, it is expected of a Christian to care for others in some (or many) ways, so this is no surprise.  There is a catch however, but, I am getting ahead of myself.  For now, please read the passage below...

Matthew, Chapter 25

 31  “But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory.  32  Before him all the nations will be gathered, and he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.   33  He will set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.   34  Then the King will tell those on his right hand, ‘Come, blessed of my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world;   35  for I was hungry, and you gave me food to eat. I was thirsty, and you gave me drink. I was a stranger, and you took me in.   36  I was naked, and you clothed me. I was sick, and you visited me. I was in prison, and you came to me.’ 

  37  “Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry, and feed you; or thirsty, and give you a drink?   38  When did we see you as a stranger, and take you in; or naked, and clothe you?   39  When did we see you sick, or in prison, and come to you?’ 

  40  “The King will answer them, ‘Most certainly I tell you, because you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’   41  Then he will say also to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire which is prepared for the devil and his angels;   42  for I was hungry, and you didn’t give me food to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me no drink;   43  I was a stranger, and you didn’t take me in; naked, and you didn’t clothe me; sick, and in prison, and you didn’t visit me.’ 

  44  “Then they will also answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and didn’t help you?’ 

  45  “Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Most certainly I tell you, because you didn’t do it to one of the least of these, you didn’t do it to me.’   46  These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.” 


Heaven or hell depends so much on our attitude!!!  It is not so much what you do, as WHY YOU DO IT!!!  Most of us have probably never visited anyone in prison, yet I doubt if that will disqualify us from heaven.  To me, the key here is caring for others, which of course is the expression of unselfish love. Now, as far as that CATCH goes-- the thing is... you get far more than you give!!!  This is evident in my darling wife, as she has perked up lately, and I know why.  When you give love unselfishly, you receive FAR MORE THAN YOU GIVE!!!  Consider what is said in the book of Luke for a moment...

Chapter 6

31  “As you would like people to do to you, do exactly so to them.   32  If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them.   33  If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same.   34  If you lend to those from whom you hope to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to receive back as much.   35  But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing back; and your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High; for he is kind toward the unthankful and evil. 
  36  “Therefore be merciful, 
even as your Father is also merciful. 
  37  Don’t judge, 
and you won’t be judged. 
Don’t condemn, 
and you won’t be condemned. 
Set free, 
and you will be set free. 

  38  “Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over, will be given to you. For with the same measure you measure it will be measured back to you.” 


The CATCH, once again is blessing.  And its wonderful!!!  If you happen to see my Linda, you will notice-- I have!!!!!