4/17/13

From Jim McGuiggan... My Ethel and her talky husband


My Ethel and her talky husband

I know there are countless people that know better than I how powerful words are but I’m not sure there’s anyone that believes it morefervently than I do. But I do go on a bit sometimes. That may be true of all that try to communicate. I’m afraid we fall into the mistaken belief that everyone is as enamoured with the sound of our voices as we are. We talkers are so wise, don’t you think so?
Each morning I bathe and dress Ethel. Along with paraplegia and numerous other ailments she has heart difficulties that mean that lying in certain positions makes it more difficult for her to breathe. We often discuss biblical and related issues while she’s getting up and into the wheelchair. About a week ago I was making the profound point that life's difficulties often make it hard for people to engage in theological reflection. I admit I was going on a bit long with my recondite deliberations but finally I reached the point where I said something like, "People who are hanging by their thumbs aren’t much interested in sermons and explanations." At this, while she puffed for breath, she dryly remarked, "People who are having a hard time breathing don’t care much for them either." Touché (as the man said when he cut off the head of his opponent).
I was reminded again how "thick" we can be even when we think we’re sensitive and aware. I was developing this deep truth (not widely known—only a very few of us understand it though we’re modest enough not to go around saying so). Ahem...as I was saying, I was developing this deep truth that I had completely mastered (of course!) and even as I spoke it I was proving myself an idiot. I had the proof of my proposal right there before my eyes and was attempting to prove it to her with words. I was churning out this torrent of speech, delighted that I could prove what she already knew with the power of breathless personal experience. If I had had a grain of sense at that moment I could have asked her, "Tell me, how much interest do you have in a Bible question at this very breathless moment?" Knowing her she’d have said something like, "Not nearly as much as I would if you let me up to get some air."
God enlighten us talkers and give us practical insight. God deliver the poor hearers that have to endure our going on and on. Or, if he doesn’t completely deliver them from us, may he give them the grace and power to forgive us.

©2004 Jim McGuiggan. All materials are free to be copied and used as long as money is not being made.

Many thanks to brother Ed Healy, for allowing me to post from his website, the abiding word.com.