5/25/13

From Gary... Freedom


This morning as I took Buddy out for his walk, I looked up at the sky and thought- How nice it is to be free from that oppressive humidity we have been experiencing lately (it was 97 on the Lanai yesterday afternoon).  Then I remembered that this was Memorial day weekend.  Although, to many it is just a cook-out time, as citizens of the United States Of America, we need to remember those who sacrificed their lives in defense of freedom.  So, let us REMEMBER, AND NEVER, EVER FORGET!!!  For those of us who follow the Christ of God, we also remember our greatest warrior, who laid down his life for our spiritual freedom.  This memorial we celebrate each Sunday, but honestly, it is worth thinking about every day of the week, because there is not a single day that we do not reap the benefits of HIS SACRIFICE.  With that in mind, please read the following passage and be thankful...

Matthew, Chapter 26

  17  Now on the first day of unleavened bread, the disciples came to Jesus, saying to him, “Where do you want us to prepare for you to eat the Passover?” 

  18  He said, “Go into the city to a certain person, and tell him, ‘The Teacher says, “My time is at hand. I will keep the Passover at your house with my disciples.”’” 

  19  The disciples did as Jesus commanded them, and they prepared the Passover.  20 Now when evening had come, he was reclining at the table with the twelve disciples.  21 As they were eating, he said, “Most certainly I tell you that one of you will betray me.” 

  22  They were exceedingly sorrowful, and each began to ask him, “It isn’t me, is it, Lord?” 

  23  He answered, “He who dipped his hand with me in the dish, the same will betray me.   24  The Son of Man goes, even as it is written of him, but woe to that man through whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would be better for that man if he had not been born.” 

  25  Judas, who betrayed him, answered, “It isn’t me, is it, Rabbi?” 

He said to him, “You said it.” 

  26  As they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks for it, and broke it. He gave to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.”   27 He took the cup, gave thanks, and gave to them, saying, “All of you drink it,   28  for this is my blood of the new covenant, which is poured out for many for the remission of sins.   29  But I tell you that I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on, until that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father’s Kingdom.” 


Now, the veteran's I have known during my life would only number in the thousands or perhaps possibly tens-of-thousands, but every one of them was NOT PERFECT!!!  In comparison, Jesus was and still is absolute perfection.  This weekend, let us give a double meaning to Memorial Day and remember that one special warrior who died that we might be free from sin and all its eternal consequences!!!!



PS.  The picture at the top is from one of the most wonderfully landscaped homes in our Southfork community.  To me, what really makes it great is the way our nation's flag is displayed- with GREAT RESPECT!!!!