5/20/13

From Gary... A rainbow, a gift and empty pockets


I went to Sunday evening services last night, expecting a perfectly normal time.  Then, a young man (He told us later on in the Adult Bible Class that he was 24) came in and sat down it the row of seats on the other side of the auditorium.  He was very dirty looking and most of the time just played with his cell phone.  When it ran out of juice, he just walked around until he found a charger and with nothing to do, he participated in the class.  He spoke as though he thought he was a wise old man and related his experiences with drugs and alcohol as if he had now conquered all his problems; this, while being homeless and asking us for food.  At the close of the service, most everyone reached in their pockets to pool money to buy him the nourishment he sought.  I felt awkward because I was broke and so I left as quickly as possible.  On the way home, I felt awful that I couldn't help him and I was depressed.  This morning, I was sprucing up some of the pictures for use on the blog and had a headache, so I sat in the recliner for a long time with Buddy using my left leg as prop.  As I closed my eyes, I thought of the picture at the top of this post and realized how hard life must be for those who live on the street; and how, even there, people know they can get help from "church folks".  And it was THEN, that I thought of this passage from the Gospel of Luke...

Luke, Chapter 7

1 After he had finished speaking in the hearing of the people, he entered into Capernaum.  2 A certain centurion’s servant, who was dear to him, was sick and at the point of death.  3 When he heard about Jesus, he sent to him elders of the Jews, asking him to come and save his servant.  4 When they came to Jesus, they begged him earnestly, saying, “He is worthy for you to do this for him,  5 for he loves our nation, and he built our synagogue for us.”  6 Jesus went with them. When he was now not far from the house, the centurion sent friends to him, saying to him, “Lord, don’t trouble yourself, for I am not worthy for you to come under my roof.  7 Therefore I didn’t even think myself worthy to come to you; but say the word, and my servant will be healed. 8 For I also am a man placed under authority, having under myself soldiers. I tell this one, ‘Go!’ and he goes; and to another, ‘Come!’ and he comes; and to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.” 

  9  When Jesus heard these things, he marveled at him, and turned and said to the multitude who followed him, “I tell you, I have not found such great faith, no, not in Israel.”   10 Those who were sent, returning to the house, found that the servant who had been sick was well. 


The Centurion knew he wasn't one of the chosen people and yet, in time of need, went to Jesus.  The soldier was a man of authority with a great deal of responsibility, but felt unworthy to even be in the presence of Jesus.  When his servant was healed, I can imagine him saying to himself... he did this for me???  The picture shows the rainbow coming right to you, as if it is yours for the taking.  A very special gift, just for you.  I think this is how the Centurion must have felt by Jesus' gift of healing for his servant.  And, I hope that the homeless man felt blessed by the help the church gave him.  I just wish that I had something in my pocket to help him in his time of hunger.  Maybe next time...