6/11/13

From Gary... Food


For Kathy..

When my Great-Aunt Elizabeth died, the family went to a restaurant outside of Boston that served sandwiches like the top picture.  I had one.  I have never had a triple hamburger like the second one and now that I am not eating as much meat, have no desire for it.  Both are a waste of time.  In case you are wondering, Kathy is our leader at weight-watchers and very good at what she does.  I hit my lowest weight in a decade last night- 77 lbs lower than went I started; and things have changed.  I eat more vegetables and fruit and actually track what I consume and it does make a difference.  Only about 120 lbs. to go.  But, no matter how much I discipline myself, I know that there is always the possibility of gaining weight again- so I have to be careful.  This post could easily turn into something about Gluttony- but I really don't want to go there.  Instead, its focus will be on what we do in order to get to heaven (Gluttony, like all sin, is an obstacle to that), or rather what is required to get there.  The following passage from Colossians will give some insight as to where I am headed...

Colossians, Chapter 2

13 You were dead through your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh. He made you alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses,  14 wiping out the handwriting in ordinances which was against us; and he has taken it out of the way, nailing it to the cross;  15 having stripped the principalities and the powers, he made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it. 

  16  Let no one therefore judge you in eating, or in drinking, or with respect to a feast day or a new moon or a Sabbath day, 17 which are a shadow of the things to come; but the body is Christ’s.  18 Let no one rob you of your prize by a voluntary humility and worshiping of the angels, dwelling in the things which he has not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,  19 and not holding firmly to the Head, from whom all the body, being supplied and knit together through the joints and ligaments, grows with God’s growth.  20 If you died with Christ from the elements of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to ordinances,  21 “Don’t handle, nor taste, nor touch”  22 (all of which perish with use), according to the precepts and doctrines of men?  23 Which things indeed appear like wisdom in self-imposed worship, and humility, and severity to the body; but aren’t of any value against the indulgence of the flesh. 


Don't let people tell you what to do.  Read what the Scriptures tell you and then let your conscience be your guide.  Rules and regulations that are man-made are of no value; but the ones from heaven are.  Eat, don't eat, its up to you.  At this point the following comes to mind...

Colossians, Chapter 3
  17  Whatever you do, in word or in deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father, through him. 

Enough said, I have to go- time for second breakfast!!!