Paul And Corinth: Possible Chain Of Events
1. The First Visit: Establishes the church (Acts 18).
2. Writes Letter 'A' We don't have that letter. See 1 Corinthians 5:9
3. Writes Letter 'B' (Our 1 Corinthians) in response to reports and questions)
4. The second visit: 2 Corinthians 2:1 and 13:2 (not recorded in Acts).
While there on the 2nd visit, he was attacked and humiliated by some brother which provokes the next letter ( Letter "C") This second visit was a "flying" visit and was not what he had promised in 1 Corinthians 16:5-7. That was to be an extended stay.
See 2 Corinthians 1:15.
5. Writes Letter 'C' Described by Paul in 2 Corinthians 2:4 and 7:8 as a "tearful and grief-bringing letter". (We don't have that letter.)
6. Waits anxiously for a response to Letter C and finally learns from Titus that there had been a good response (2 Corinthians 7:6-16). Well, a better response than he might have expected. At least the whole church hadn't turned from him.
7. Along with that news or maybe even subsequent to it he heard that Jewish critics were among his opponents ("super/false apostles") and were generating tension and fragmentation. This leads him to write Letter 'D' (our 2 Corinthians).
©2004 Jim McGuiggan. All materials are free to be copied and used as long as money is not being made.
Many thanks to brother Ed Healy, for allowing me to post from his website, the abiding word.com