8/14/13

From Gary... Off the leash



We took the dogs to Price Park again.  When we arrived at the park, Buddy made a noise that seemed to express his joy at being there and after awhile it was very obvious that both dogs were enjoying themselves to no end. Since there was no one else in the dog-walk enclosure, we let go of the leashes and they ran and ran until they were exhausted.  Every tree had a new marking, every inch was investigated again and again. They were free; they were off the leash and really, really free!!!!  Even though it is 90+ degrees today, we still stayed there the better part of an hour and the dogs did not want to leave- I am not sure how I know this, but I do.  The picture and the video tell the story, but I wish you could look into their eyes- because that says volumes more.  Anyway, this little episode reminded me of Jesus and the following statement...

Matthew, Chapter 11
 28  “Come to me, all you who labor and are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest.   29  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart; and you will find rest for your souls.   30  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” 

It is a difficult thing to be a Jew.  When we were first married, both Linda and I worked in the kitchen for the Jewish home for the aged, located in Troy, New York. Over time, we came to know some of the residents and gained a respect for their commitment to God.  Rules, regulations, and the like were plainly a chore.  And then one day, someone mixed a meat dish in with the dairy and the commotion that followed was something to see!!!!  Jesus came to give rest from such things and his burden of rules and regulations is almost nothing compared to Judaism.  The freedom we have in Christ means we should not make up rules that we think other Christians should follow, but rather try to understand and work with others to grow closer to God.  Please do NOT MISUNDERSTAND, I am not saying that anything goes, but rather our understanding of doctrine should be coupled with mercy and grace.  We should HELP others grow to where we are spiritually and NOT force them to be like us.  Once in awhile, it is very good to be off the leash, but be careful of what you do with your freedom.