9/20/13

From Gary.... A gift of kindness



Last month I was walking on Brahman St. nearby my home and took this photo.  Just a bird feeder in the morning sun, right?  But it does say something about the people who live there.  They feed the birds out of their love of animals.  They don't have to do it- they want to do it.  Who knows what birds they have helped by their act of kindness?  The thought occurred to me: Where would I be without the kindness of God?  I suppose that there are many answers to this question, but I thought of this passage from Paul's letter to Titus...

Titus, Chapter 3
 1 Remind them to be in subjection to rulers and to authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work,  2 to speak evil of no one, not to be contentious, to be gentle, showing all humility toward all men.  3 For we were also once foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving various lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another.  4 But when the kindness of God our Savior and his love toward mankind appeared,  5 not by works of righteousness, which we did ourselves, but according to his mercy, he saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit,  6 whom he poured out on us richly, through Jesus Christ our Savior;  7 that, being justified by his grace, we might be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
The birds didn't earn their daily seed; it was (and still is) freely given to them by someone who loves them.  I have never EARNED salvation, or any blessing for that matter, yet because of God's love, I have the assurance of a myriad of blessings; both now and in heaven.  When I take the dogs for a walk today and see this little bird feeder, I will think of how much God loves me.  Think about that the next time you see a bird-feeder!!!