10/27/13

From Gary... A change of venue













Today started out bad; I overslept, forgot to take clean-up bags with me for the morning dog walk and missed Bible Class.  But, the morning dog-walk was cool- about -  58 degrees and even this afternoon it barely reached eighty.  First time I was really able to wear long pants all day long; WOW!!!  This afternoon's walk was warm, but there was a refreshing cool breeze, which was a pleasant surprise!!!  On the way home, I realized how the seasons had changed, but it is nothing like I remember from up-state New York. When I saw the picture at the top, I realized how much I missed something like this.  No, that is not quite right - how I long to see this one more time!!!  Then, I remembered how the exiled Israelites felt in Babylon.  I couldn't remember exactly where that was in the Bible, so a quick search found this passage in the Psalms...

Psalm 137
  1 By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down.
Yes, we wept, when we remembered Zion.
  2 On the willows in its midst,
we hung up our harps.
  3 For there, those who led us captive asked us for songs.
Those who tormented us demanded songs of joy:
“Sing us one of the songs of Zion!”
  4 How can we sing Yahweh’s song in a foreign land?
  5 If I forget you, Jerusalem,
let my right hand forget its skill.
  6 Let my tongue stick to the roof of my mouth if I don’t remember you;
if I don’t prefer Jerusalem above my chief joy.


You miss what you really love!!!  It took exile and servitude among the pagans for God's chosen people to appreciate what they no longer had.  This morning, just before the sermon, I looked around and saw some empty seats and it suddenly dawned on me how many of my fellow Christians had fallen asleep (died) over the past few years.  Funny thing is, it didn't make me feel bad at all, just sorry they were not around to fellowship with anymore. I will just have to wait until I transfer my membership to heavenly rolls in order to see them again.  Lord in heaven, help me to keep my eye on the prize and remain faithful until, I too pass the way of all things and see them again.  You know, it just occurred to me... I wonder if there are seasons in heaven?