10/16/13

From Gary... Hymns, humor and inspirational singing




























This past Lord's day I actually led singing, and much to my surprise, it wasn't too bad.  However, I have no illusions, I only "read" music a very little and sometimes my voice gives out (too many thyroid operations) and at other times I just don't hit the right key. But, on a positive note, sometimes things work out- and Sunday; it did.  The picture is somewhat humorous and made me think of all the times songleaders mess up; in all the various ways that can happen.  Sunday evening our Preacher-in-training (who just happens to have a degree in music and is our main song-leader) and I had a small discussion about our favorite hymns (which is all I am capable of leading) and I asked him if the congregation could try "The New Song", which is very difficult indeed.  I can't wait to see if he will try, as it is very beautiful due to its intertwining harmonies. This song is inspired by many Scriptures, here are but a few of them...


Isaiah, Chapter 42

10 Sing to Yahweh a new song,
and his praise from the end of the earth,
you who go down to the sea,
and all that is therein,
the islands and their inhabitants.


Revelation, Chapter 5
9 They sang a new song, saying, 
“You are worthy to take the book,
and to open its seals:
for you were killed,
and bought us for God with your blood,
out of every tribe, language, people, and nation,
  10 and made us kings and priests to our God,
and we will reign on earth.”
 
Revelation, Chapter 15
3 They sang the song of Moses, the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying, 
“Great and marvelous are your works, Lord God, the Almighty!
Righteous and true are your ways, you King of the nations.
  4 Who wouldn’t fear you, Lord,
and glorify your name?
For you only are holy.
For all the nations will come and worship before you.
For your righteous acts have been revealed.”

I have no idea what your favorite hymn might be; mine is Ivory Palaces by Henry Barraclough (page 356 in the hymnal "songs of the church" Howard Publishing Company).

Here are the Lyrics:
  1. My Lord has garments so wondrous fine,
    And myrrh their texture fills;
    Its fragrance reached to this heart of mine
    With joy my being thrills.
    • Refrain:
      Out of the ivory palaces,
      Into a world of woe,
      Only His great eternal love
      Made my Savior go.
  2. His life had also its sorrows sore,
    For aloes had a part;
    And when I think of the cross He bore,
    My eyes with teardrops start.
  3. His garments, too, were in cassia dipped,
    With healing in a touch;
    In paths of sin had my feet e’er slipped—
    He’s saved me from its clutch.
  4. In garments glorious He will come,
    To open wide the door;
    And I shall enter my heav’nly home,
    To dwell forevermore.
For those of you who might like to hear it sung by a congregation....



Since all our tastes differ, send me your favorite hymn title-- I would love to hear from you!!!!