10/1/13

From Gary.... Looking for serendipities




This is an unusual picture; guess what it is???  I will keep you guessing for awhile, but in the meantime, here is a clue: This is a picture of a ship on the ocean, plus something else...




Yesterday, was not a particularly great day, I was upset over my wife being depressed because of her injury and distance from home, something had given me a nasty rash and I only lost only two tenths of a pound this week.  And when I came home with my double meat Subway Club, I found out that a friend from church had died unexpectedly.  That coupled with a few more less-than-wonderful things left me talking to myself.  So, I had a little trouble sleeping and awoke before 6am.  Just goes to show you- one bad day will lead to another.  So much so, that I asked myself-  Why am I doing all this writing anyway.  This blog, why is it so important to me???  Unable to think clearly, I decided to start at the beginning- and looked up the word blog....

blog
 n 1: a shared on-line journal where people can post diary
 entries about their personal experiences and hobbies;
 "postings on a blog are usually in chronological order"
 [syn: web log, v 1: read, write, or edit a shared on-line journal

    -- From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006)


So, these little bits of writing I do (my blog, or web log) are my diary.  But it is a diary +.  And the plus makes all the difference!!!  Because when the Word of God is in you- you are never alone, even on the crummiest day.  This causes me to think of the Book of Acts...

Acts, Chapter 17
 22  Paul stood in the middle of the Areopagus, and said, “You men of Athens, I perceive that you are very religious in all things.  23 For as I passed along, and observed the objects of your worship, I found also an altar with this inscription: ‘TO AN UNKNOWN GOD.’ What therefore you worship in ignorance, this I announce to you.  24 The God who made the world and all things in it, he, being Lord of heaven and earth, doesn’t dwell in temples made with hands,  25 neither is he served by men’s hands, as though he needed anything, seeing he himself gives to all life and breath, and all things.  26 He made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the surface of the earth, having determined appointed seasons, and the boundaries of their dwellings,  27 that they should seek the Lord, if perhaps they might reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us.  28 ‘For in him we live, and move, and have our being.’ As some of your own poets have said, ‘For we are also his offspring.’  29 Being then the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold, or silver, or stone, engraved by art and design of man.  30 The times of ignorance therefore God overlooked. But now he commands that all people everywhere should repent,  31 because he has appointed a day in which he will judge the world in righteousness by the man whom he has ordained; of which he has given assurance to all men, in that he has raised him from the dead.”


My friend who died yesterday had left the church for awhile and recently repented of her error and renewed her commitment to Christ before her demise. She had reached out to God in time and as our minister said last night- "Now she is in the hands of a merciful God".  I had also forgotten that my brother, Dave, sent my Linda a card which had cheered her up.  Thank God for Cortisone cream and for that two tenths of a pound I lost.  The double-meat Subway Club was a loaded with veggies one, so much so that even I had a "little" trouble finishing it. And through all this... God was there.  Forget yesterdays problems- today, today I am thinking that somehow the world will be a wonderful place; with unexpected blessings at each an every turn.

In fact, today has been full of surprises.  Kind of like that picture, surprising.  The unusual thing about that little picture is that the object at the right is a sandstorm.  Go ahead, wrap your mind around that little concept!!!  God will be right there when you get it!!!!


"Good night".... diary