10/10/13

From Gary.... Me and You


Looking DOWN at a rainbow; now, there is a new one for me!!!  I guess it is probably not that uncommon, given that we have airplanes; it is just I never thought about it before.  Now, God gave the rainbow as the symbol of a covenant (of blessing) with Noah (and by extension- all of us) and every time I see one in the sky, I think of God making that covenant.  But, you know, this is a communication that has two sides to it.  We look up and remember- God looks down and remembers.  It is a two way street.  We are not in this life alone- God is there and for me I think that I should consider God's viewpoint of our relationship more often.  Putting all of this together makes sense to me by linking the picture and the verses I have listed below.

Genesis, Chapter 9
  8  God spoke to Noah and to his sons with him, saying,  9 “As for me, behold, I establish my covenant with you, and with your offspring after you,  10 and with every living creature that is with you: the birds, the livestock, and every animal of the earth with you, of all that go out of the ship, even every animal of the earth.  11 I will establish my covenant with you: All flesh will not be cut off any more by the waters of the flood, neither will there ever again be a flood to destroy the earth.”  12 God said, “This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations:  13 I set my rainbow in the cloud, and it will be a sign of a covenant between me and the earth.  14 When I bring a cloud over the earth, that the rainbow will be seen in the cloud,  15 and I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh, and the waters will no more become a flood to destroy all flesh.  16 The rainbow will be in the cloud. I will look at it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth.”  17 God said to Noah, “This is the token of the covenant which I have established between me and all flesh that is on the earth.” 

Matthew, Chapter 7
7  “Ask, and it will be given you. Seek, and you will find. Knock, and it will be opened for you.   8  For everyone who asks receives. He who seeks finds. To him who knocks it will be opened.   9  Or who is there among you, who, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone?   10  Or if he asks for a fish, who will give him a serpent?   11  If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!  12  Therefore whatever you desire for men to do to you, you shall also do to them; for this is the law and the prophets. 

  13  “Enter in by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and many are those who enter in by it.   14  How  narrow is the gate, and restricted is the way that leads to life! Few are those who find it. 

  15  “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravening wolves.   16  By their fruits you will know them. Do you gather grapes from thorns, or figs from thistles?   17  Even so, every good tree produces good fruit; but the corrupt tree produces evil fruit.  18  A good tree can’t produce evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree produce good fruit.   19  Every tree that doesn’t grow good fruit is cut down, and thrown into the fire.   20  Therefore by their fruits you will know them.   21  Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven; but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.   22  Many will tell me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, didn’t we prophesy in your name, in your name cast out demons, and in your name do many mighty works?’   23  Then I will tell them, ‘I never knew you. Depart from me, you who work iniquity.’ 

  24  “Everyone therefore who hears these words of mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man, who built his house on a rock.   25  The rain came down, the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat on that house; and it didn’t fall, for it was founded on the rock.   26  Everyone who hears these words of mine, and doesn’t do them will be like a foolish man, who built his house on the sand.  27  The rain came down, the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat on that house; and it fell—and great was its fall.”

Noah went through a lot and he did it WITH GOD!!!  They had a relationship.  For Christians, the same concept holds true with Jesus.  His way of living becomes ours; his thoughts as well.  If not, well, when the "floods" come, our house will go- SPLAT!!! Honestly, Jesus asks us to do some difficult things- such as loving your enemies, but what HE had to do in order to bless us is in the order of a different galaxy. 

In the book of Acts, chapter 1,  we read:
9  When he had said these things, as they were looking, he was taken up, and a cloud received him out of their sight.  10 While they were looking steadfastly into the sky as he went, behold, two men stood by them in white clothing,  11 who also said, “You men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus, who was received up from you into the sky will come back in the same way as you saw him going into the sky.”

Since Jesus ascended into heaven... I wonder how often HE LOOKS AT RAINBOWS???  You know, this putting myself in Jesus' shoes thing, just might be useful after all!!!!!