10/19/13

From Gary.... Significant insignificance
























Just a common ordinary bug; no big deal, right?  Yet, if several million of these land in a crop- goodbye crop!!!  Often-times, things that we think are unimportant (insignificant) are a big deal!!!  To illustrate this point, consider even a smaller bug- the ones in our intestines.  Without them, we couldn't survive.  So, just because something is small DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT SHOULD NOT BE GIVEN CONSIDERATION OR EVEN RESPECT!!!  Today, in the United States of America, many, many unborn children will be aborted!!!  Why? Convenience, mostly.  Children are a responsibility and a commitment and many people are simply too wrapped up in themselves to worry about another life. Why so many abortions?  Because people think that renaming a baby a fetus will somehow make it less human and insignificant.  But God doesn't think about human beings that way.  Consider the following famous passage from the book of Jeremiah...


Jeremiah, Chapter 1
 1 The words of Jeremiah the son of Hilkiah, of the priests who were in Anathoth in the land of Benjamin:  2 to whom Yahweh’s word came in the days of Josiah the son of Amon, king of Judah, in the thirteenth year of his reign.  3 It came also in the days of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah, king of Judah, to the end of the eleventh year of Zedekiah, the son of Josiah, king of Judah, to the carrying away of Jerusalem captive in the fifth month.  4 Now Yahweh’s word came to me, saying,  5 “Before I formed you in the belly, I knew you. Before you came out of the womb, I sanctified you. I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.”  6 Then I said, “Ah, Lord Yahweh! Behold, I don’t know how to speak; for I am a child.” 

  7  But Yahweh said to me, “Don’t say, ‘I am a child;’ for to whoever I shall send you, you shall go, and whatever I shall command you, you shall speak.  8 Don’t be afraid because of them; for I am with you to deliver you,” says Yahweh.  9 Then Yahweh stretched out his hand, and touched my mouth; and Yahweh said to me, “Behold, I have put my words in your mouth.  10 Behold, I have this day set you over the nations and over the kingdoms, to pluck up and to break down and to destroy and to overthrow, to build and to plant.”
God has a plan for each and every one of us.  We may not be an adult, or clever of speech or even brave, but God has used people like these in the past and will do so in the future.  In fact, you may be the run-of-the-mill, ordinary human being, but if God really wants you to do something- you will; whether you like it or not (remember the prophet Jonah).  Now, neither Jeremiah, Moses or Paul for that matter were special people, for they all had faults-- and God still used them.  Who are we to say that a helpless child in the womb could not be a blessing to the entire world?  The next time you learn that someone is going to abort their baby- remind them of these things!!!  You just might change something insignificant into their most significant person in the world- and save a life to boot!!!