11/23/13

From Gary.... Forget something?


 As I age, I become more forgetful. People's names, that name of the street I am on, what I did yesterday, or- what am I in this room, ANYWAY!!!  It becomes a little embarrassing at times- but, at least I know the people who love me (even if I may call one of my daughters by her sister's name).  When my wife went to New York to say "goodbye" to her father, it was heartbreaking to realize that he did not know her and I can only imagine the pain she must have felt???  But, I wonder, how must GOD FEEL, WHEN WE FORGET HIM???  This passage from the book of Deuteronomy gives us insight into this question...
 
 Deuteronomy, Chapter 4
 22 but I must die in this land. I must not go over the Jordan; but you shall go over, and possess that good land.  23 Be careful, lest you forget the covenant of Yahweh your God, which he made with you, and make yourselves an engraved image in the form of anything which Yahweh your God has forbidden you.  24 For Yahweh your God is a devouring fire, a jealous God.  25 When you shall father children, and children’s children, and you shall have been long in the land, and shall corrupt yourselves, and make an engraved image in the form of anything, and shall do that which is evil in the sight of Yahweh your God, to provoke him to anger;  26 I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day, that you will soon utterly perish from off the land which you go over the Jordan to possess it. You will not prolong your days on it, but will utterly be destroyed.  27 Yahweh will scatter you among the peoples, and you will be left few in number among the nations, where Yahweh will lead you away.  28 There you shall serve gods, the work of men’s hands, wood and stone, which neither see, nor hear, nor eat, nor smell.  29 But from there you shall seek Yahweh your God, and you shall find him, when you search after him with all your heart and with all your soul.  30 When you are in oppression, and all these things have come on you, in the latter days you shall return to Yahweh your God, and listen to his voice.  31 For Yahweh your God is a merciful God. He will not fail you, neither destroy you, nor forget the covenant of your fathers which he swore to them.

 God gets angry when we worship other gods, but when we remember HIM and do what is right he is merciful.  So, remember to do what is right and not wrong.  I know, we all forget at times, and sin- well, sin is something that overtakes us all (to one extent or another).  Now, even when my Linda's dad looked at her unknowingly, that didn't change how SHE FELT ABOUT HIM.  It is like that with God, too.  He loves us no matter what, but actions and attitudes do have consequences- so like verse 29 above, if we really seek after him, GOD is merciful to forgive.  Humm, that is about it- but wait, did I forget something???  No, not this time- maybe later.


PS.  The Jews ultimately forgot God and were punished for it- Has America forgotten the Almighty???  You be the judge!!!!