12/13/13

From Gary... My Prism



 
Pilate said: "... what is truth?"  Given the circumstances of this statement, it sounds a bit "off hand"; that is, treating a deep subject as a trivial or an inconsequential matter.  But what if it was not?  Suppose Pilate had considered "Truth" and decided on his own parameters of the concept?  This could be true; Pilate might well have been a man of introspection and contemplation.  Men of importance were placed in positions of importance by an Emperor who wanted to STAY Emperor.  The thing about Pilate was- he didn't recognize ABSOLUTE TRUTH when it was right in front of him.  This error was a product of his thinking, undoubtedly influenced greatly by the power and majesty of ancient Rome.  In Pilate's mind, it is easy to see how Rome's greatness would preclude any genuine wisdom outside of that originating from that great city on the Tiber.  Yet, truth there was- and truth that had a wisdom embedded within it that was of a calibre that put the glory of Rome to shame. Yes, it was his "thinking" that blinded Pilate and the question that comes to mind this cold morning is... What do I think about- and why?  As a starting point, please consider the following passage from the book of Philippians...

Philippians, Chapter 4
 8  Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are honorable, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there is any virtue, and if there is any praise, think about these things.  9 The things which you learned, received, heard, and saw in me: do these things, and the God of peace will be with you. 10 But I rejoice in the Lord greatly, that now at length you have revived your thought for me; in which you did indeed take thought, but you lacked opportunity.  11 Not that I speak in respect to lack, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content in it.  12 I know how to be humbled, and I know also how to abound. In everything and in all things I have learned the secret both to be filled and to be hungry, both to abound and to be in need.  13 I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

Paul was a subject of Rome; he was part of a conquered people.  But he was free because of his thinking.  Not free by his own efforts, but rather free because he considered, correctly recognized and OBEYED the WILL OF GOD as revealed through Jesus.  He intellectually considered the things that were profitable for correct living (verse 8) and practically acted upon those truths (verse 9).  So, his thinking led to a God-controlled life. No obstacle was so great that it could not be overcome, no concept so lofty that the Almighty did not have the perfect answer.  Nothing in Heaven or Earth can overcome the will of God in the lives of those dedicated to serve HIM!!!  And so we come to the graphic above; for it is not just a bottle, it is a prism.  For me, it represents the word of God, through which I perceive all things.  And when I do this, I am able to perceive both truth in concept and in daily living. And it is truly  beautiful!!!  Too bad Pilate couldn't get it!!!  Do you???