1/15/14

From Jim McGuiggan... Truth and artificial legs

Truth and artificial legs

I’m not addressing these remarks to those that nothing excites. I’m afraid I don’t understand such people though they make a welcome change from a steady diet of those on the opposite end of the spectrum. But I can’t help smiling now and then when I listen to two or more people debating a political point as if life for the world depended on who is right. You must understand that I’m far from believing that politics is a waste of time or that political questions aren’t worth debating. As it is in every facet of life there are profound questions and trivia. But you’ve seen them, veins bulging, blood pressure up to high doh and eyes popping—refusing to give an inch. Some of that makes perfect sense (to some of us).

But let two religious people behave that way and the eyes of the wise ones are rolling in despair. "Wouldn’t you think they could get along without all that argument? After all they all believe in the same God." And so religious, biblical or theological issues are all reduced to a needless beating of gums. (This is often done by those who wouldn’t know a biblical text from a ship in a bottle.) It’s perfectly acceptable to take political issues seriously but we mustn’t argue about what the Bible does or does not teach or about what that teaching does or does not mean to us. To be that dismissive about religious questions is (perhaps) to say more about oneself that about those who want to thrash questions out. Here again there are questions and questions. There are some not worth spending time on. We’d do better to save our breath for cooling our soup. You understand that those aren’t the kind of questions that I bother with...ahem. Now, where was I? Yes, on questions and issues worth fully pursuing.

In a real sense it’s only those who are up to their necks in football that can speak with authority about football. It’s only those who are passionate about the life of society that can speak with authority about politics or law or crime and its only those that are up to their hearts and minds in religion or Bible that can lead us to listen well if we’re going to listen at all.

It really doesn’t help when an "outsider" castigates as trivial what the "insiders" are very serious about. At the very least, the "outsider" should give the "insiders" a good hearing and maybe they’d come to understand what’s at stake. I don’t suggest that we should all be serious students of philosophy but a bit of modesty is appropriate if we’re to rabbit on about something we haven’t spent a lot of time working at. It’s too easy to dismiss as nonsense David Hume’s remark that we only say sugar is sweet and water is wet because we’re too lazy to work with the claims. Maybe if we knew as much as Hume did, or (more modestly) gave him a hearing, we’d be slow to scoff.

But speaking as an "insider" I feel there is too much time and energy spent on too much that’s trivial in biblical, religious and theological discussion. I know I’m speaking from where I am in life and thought so I’m trying to keep that in mind as I listen and watch and talk. Whether I'm making a good fist of it is another question. There are things I’m passionate about, things I believe are much more important than others grant them, things I cannot and therefore won’t back away from unless I’m shown otherwise. I must call them as I see them and it doesn’t really matter to me that others think I’m wrong (which I may discover I have been)—I can’t think or live with integrity beyond my perceptions.

But—and this is an important but—I don’t believe that because I disagree profoundly with someone that that means I cannot join hands with them in many fine endeavours. The singer celebrity Bob Geldof and I would disagree profoundly on jugular questions about God and life but I glory in what he does for the needy in the Third World.

Episcopalian Wilfred Grenfell, a doctor who did mission work for so many years in Labrador, amputated a leg of an elderly neighbour of his, a Roman Catholic lady. Artificial legs don’t grow on Labrador bushes so when he was in America at a Congregational church he appealed for an artificial limb. A widow lady (a Methodist) offered her dead husband’s artificial leg (the husband had been a Presbyterian). So a little while later a Roman Catholic lady was walking around on an artificial leg that had belonged to a Presbyterian man, fitted by an Episcopalian doctor, donated through a Congregational church by a Methodist woman. The leg worked!

I’m not about to sink my religious convictions in a lake of sugar but I’ll be hanged if I refuse to recognise, applaud and get involved with goodness and truth wherever I’m privileged to find it.


©2004 Jim McGuiggan. All materials are free to be copied and used as long as money is not being made.

Many thanks to brother Ed Healy, for allowing me to post from his website, the abiding word.com.