2/3/14

From Gary... Calendars, Truth and Choices...


OK, since when are there NINE days in a week?  Curious, I did a little research on the net and found out that there are current 40 different calendars in use today. I put a couple of links below for those of you who may have an interest in such things and I hope you will find the reading interesting. So, are there nine days in a week?  What is the truth about such things?
http://astro.nmsu.edu/~lhuber/leaphist.html

http://www.calleman.com/content/articles/Mayan_Calendars_NineNine_dayCount.htm

The truth seems to be that you use the calendar you wish because of your goals for keeping track of time.  For me, The International Standard of the Gregorian Calendar works just fine. And if you read all the information above, you will probably get a headache, just like I did.  So, what is the truth??? This is a familiar theme to those of us who call themselves Christians- and here is why...

John, Chapter 18
 33  Pilate therefore entered again into the Praetorium, called Jesus, and said to him, “Are you the King of the Jews?” 

  34  Jesus answered him, “Do you say this by yourself, or did others tell you about me?” 

  35  Pilate answered, “I’m not a Jew, am I? Your own nation and the chief priests delivered you to me. What have you done?” 

  36  Jesus answered, “My Kingdom is not of this world. If my Kingdom were of this world, then my servants would fight, that I wouldn’t be delivered to the Jews. But now my Kingdom is not from here.” 

  37  Pilate therefore said to him, “Are you a king then?” 

Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. For this reason I have been born, and for this reason I have come into the world, that I should testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice.” 

  38  Pilate said to him, “What is truth?” 
When he had said this, he went out again to the Jews, and said to them, “I find no basis for a charge against him.
  39 But you have a custom, that I should release someone to you at the Passover. Therefore do you want me to release to you the King of the Jews?” 

  40  Then they all shouted again, saying, “Not this man, but Barabbas!” Now Barabbas was a robber.


Now, we can argue all day long about which calendar to use and from certain perspectives many differing views could be correct.  But, Jesus- What about Jesus???  His life is documented in extreme detail and was witnessed by thousands.  For most of the world, time is divided up into the categories of before Christ (B.C.) and after Christ (A.D. [anno domini] ).  No one else has ever risen from the dead and won't (at least until Jesus comes again).  What is truth? Is Jesus really a king?  Your decision does matter- eternally!!!!

By the way...  Barabbas can't do a thing for you, JESUS CAN!!!!  Choose wisely!!!