3/26/14

From Gary.... Prove it!!!!

When I saw this chart, I once again thought of the movie "A few good men" and the exchange between the defendants and their lawyer, Daniel Kaffee...

"Daniel Kaffee: "You and Dawson, you both live in the same dreamworld! It doesn't matter what I believe. It only matters what I can prove! So don't tell me what I know, or don't know! I know the LAW!""

And then there was the post that brother Ed Healy made on facebook today.  Something about waking up and thanking God for another day of living...  Suppose then, you put the two together and asked yourself the question: If today was the last day of my life and tomorrow I was to face God for judgment- What would my life prove???? Good question; for an answer, I went to the Scripture listed in the chart above and to its surrounding verses...


1st Thessalonians, Chapter 5
 8 But let us, since we belong to the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and, for a helmet, the hope of salvation.  9 For God didn’t appoint us to wrath, but to the obtaining of salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ,  10 who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.  11 Therefore exhort one another, and build each other up, even as you also do.  12 But we beg you, brothers, to know those who labor among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you, 13 and to respect and honor them in love for their work’s sake. 

Be at peace among yourselves.  14 We exhort you, brothers, admonish the disorderly, encourage the faint-hearted, support the weak, be patient toward all.  15 See that no one returns evil for evil to anyone, but always follow after that which is good, for one another, and for all. 

  16  Rejoice always.  17 Pray without ceasing.  18 In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus toward you.  19 Don’t quench the Spirit.  20 Don’t despise prophesies.  21 Test all things, and hold firmly that which is good.  22 Abstain from every form of evil. 

  23  May the God of peace himself sanctify you completely. May your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.


Want to get to heaven? Want to KNOW that you will be there? Want to be sure? Test your life against the Scriptures!!!  Now, I know that the chart just lists verse 21, but look at its context. Looks like a closing summary, doesn't it?  Its as if Paul is trying to prepare them to meet their God.  Notice all the "short and sweet" statements from verse 16 onward.  They just tend to "stick" with you, don't they.  I think that's the idea.  Today- think; think about the chart, the Thessalonian passage and your life (Gary- this DOES apply to you as well!!!). In a way, Kaffee's quote "It only matters what I can prove!" is real and paramount. Thank God I have today to commit myself to God and test everything about myself.  I hope you will do the same...

and oh, yes... This Scripture says it all...

I John, Chapter 2

 1 My little children, I write these things to you so that you may not sin. If anyone sins, we have a Counselor with the Father, Jesus Christ, the righteous.

And HE is a better "lawyer" than Tom Cruise ever could BE!!!!