5/20/14

From Gary... Learning, loving and doing!!!


For a long time, I had a problem with "love your enemies". Frankly, it sounded a bit ridiculous to love someone who is your enemy. Then, I learned the difference between love (with a heavenly love= agape) and love (with a friendly love [like]= phileo).   You don't have to like your enemies to do the best for them, but you do have to like your friends (well, most of the time anyway)!!!  And then I saw this picture again today!!!  Even though I have thought about the following passage from the Gospel of John many, many times, today it took on a deeper meaning for me; I hope it does for you as well!!!  John says..

John, Chapter 21
Joh 21:14  This is now the third time that Jesus was manifested to the disciples, after He was raised from the dead.
Joh 21:15  So when they had finished breakfast, Jesus *said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love Me more than these?" He *said to Him, "Yes, Lord; You know that I love You." He *said to him, "Tend My lambs."
Joh 21:16  He *said to him again a second time, "Simon, son of John, do you love Me?" He *said to Him, "Yes, Lord; You know that I love You." He *said to him, "Shepherd My sheep."
Joh 21:17  He *said to him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love Me?" Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, "Do you love Me?" And he said to Him, "Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You." Jesus *said to him, "Tend My sheep.

In the above, Love is the highest love; love is the friendly love. So, Jesus says to Peter- Do you (heavenly) love me twice and (friendly) love me once.  Peter refers only to (friendly) love and these difference DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!  However, instead of just thinking that Jesus is just trying to encourage heavenly love and the third time uses friendly love as a fall-back position, perhaps Jesus was just trying to see things through Peter's eyes and through that understanding MOTIVATE him!!!  Until today, I never noticed the "tend my lambs" and "shepherd my sheep" were blended into "Tend my sheep. So, perhaps the most important concept here is NOT the play one words, but Peter's transformation from inaction to caring for others. Like it or love it- just do it!!!

You know- you can learn a lot from dogs (and people too)!!!

FYI...
Joh 21:14  τουτο ηδη τριτον εφανερωθη ο ιησους τοις μαθηταις αυτου εγερθεις εκ νεκρων
Joh 21:15  οτε ουν ηριστησαν λεγει τω σιμωνι πετρω ο ιησους σιμων ιωνα αγαπας με πλειον τουτων λεγει αυτω ναι κυριε συ οιδας οτι φιλω σε λεγει αυτω βοσκε τα αρνια μου
Joh 21:16  λεγει αυτω παλιν δευτερον σιμων ιωνα αγαπας με λεγει αυτω ναι κυριε συ οιδας οτι φιλω σε λεγει αυτω ποιμαινε τα προβατα μου
Joh 21:17  λεγει αυτω το τριτον σιμων ιωνα φιλεις με ελυπηθη ο πετρος οτι ειπεν αυτω το τριτον φιλεις με και ειπεν αυτω κυριε συ παντα οιδας συ γινωσκεις οτι φιλω σε λεγει αυτω ο ιησους βοσκε τα προβατα μου