11/25/14

From Gary.... Of tales concerning Pilgrim boyscouts, Swiss Army Knives and a holiday


Thanks to brother Ed Healy for sending me this picture!!!  It is a slightly humorous reminder of the upcoming holiday. However, I really don't need any reminder as I heard an excellent sermon by Chad Tagtoe this past Lord's day about giving thanks!!!  That same day, we went to my daughter Rebecca's home and I was strongly encouraged NOT TO DISTRACT MY WIFE from cooking the stuffing for the turkey on Wednesday (because I did last year and everyone was upset with ME because of what my Linda DID NOT DO).  Although, Thanksgiving is not a religious holiday, still, it is appropriate to give thanks and NOT FORGET the blessings we have been given (That includes the food).  All this reminds me of thankfulness and  a particular episode from the Scriptures...

Luke, Chapter 17 (WEB)
  11  As he was on his way to Jerusalem, he was passing along the borders of Samaria and Galilee.  12 As he entered into a certain village, ten men who were lepers met him, who stood at a distance.  13 They lifted up their voices, saying, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!” 

  14  When he saw them, he said to them, “Go and show yourselves to the priests.” As they went, they were cleansed.  15 One of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, glorifying God with a loud voice.  16 He fell on his face at Jesus’ feet, giving him thanks; and he was a Samaritan.  17 Jesus answered, “Weren’t the ten cleansed? But where are the nine?   18  Were there none found who returned to give glory to God, except this stranger?”   19 Then he said to him, “Get up, and go your way. Your faith has healed you.” 

Leprosy is a horrible disease and somehow I have difficultly with the nine who didn't return to give thanks.  But, at least one did and for that I AM THANKFUL!!!  I don't know where you will be spending the "Happy Eat The Bird" day, but let me tell you one thing- you probably will NOT HAVE TO BRING YOUR OWN SILVERWARE!!!  One of those Swiss Army Knives with ten thousand built in gadgets will just have to do!!!

ps. Wednesday will be a "low profile" day for me- Linda will be doing the "stuffing thing"