12/15/14

From Gary.... Why is the sky a bluish grey?

Reflections ... photo by Scott Yakey!
My sister-in-law, Karen Rifenburg, posted this picture on Facebook and it caught my attention. Why? Because of the overall bluish greyness of the sky.  Well, I know that the sky is blue because of the refraction of light through water molecules (or so I am told), by why the greyness?  Perhaps someone out there who knows more that I do will instruct me, but for now- I will just have to contemplate the beauty of this photo.  And, if someone does tell me the "why" of the color- what then?  Will I be any better off by a complex understanding of the mechanics of the coloration?  I think NOT!!!  As I considered these things, I thought of the result of great wisdom and my thoughts naturally migrated to one of the greatest thinkers of all time- Solomon.  Listen to his teaching for a moment...
 
Ecclesiastes, Chapter 1 (WEB)
 12  I, the Preacher, was king over Israel in Jerusalem.  13 I applied my heart to seek and to search out by wisdom concerning all that is done under the sky. It is a heavy burden that God has given to the sons of men to be afflicted with.  14 I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and behold, all is vanity and a chasing after wind.  15 That which is crooked can’t be made straight; and that which is lacking can’t be counted.  16 I said to myself, “Behold, I have obtained for myself great wisdom above all who were before me in Jerusalem. Yes, my heart has had great experience of wisdom and knowledge.”  17 I applied my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly. I perceived that this also was a chasing after wind.  18 For in much wisdom is much grief; and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow.

Notice the emboldened portion.  Why would this be?  Humm, Perhaps a learned Philosopher might give you a truly insightful answer, but mine is this: To know too much is to reduce the world to the realm of pure intellect. And pure intellectual perception is an unnatural state. We are creatures of feeling and experience as well as thinking beings.  Let me appreciate the beauty of God's handiwork and marvel at the variations of color and shadow, of contrast and composition.  For today, let me rejoice in what God has put before me; tomorrow, I can learn about the "Why"!!!!