1/12/15

From Gary... Of ducks, cuneiform and eternality

Press any key to continue
This past week, I posted this picture (without the caption) in one of my blog posts. As I mentioned earlier, this picture was taped to my computer at work and reminded me of the times when I was so frustrated with the machine that I wanted to BE THAT DUCK!!! Why? Because the early computer operating systems presented an almost blank screen with very little (if any) help. Sometimes, when the "press any key to continue" would appear, I honestly didn't know WHAT TO DO- AND SO- FRUSTRATION. But, frustration is nothing new, for I am quite sure that among the pictures that follow you will have experienced frustration as well....

"Printing" wall chart      
Cursive wall chart

My first Typewriter (really!!!)

Slide rule (similar to what I used to carry in the early 70's)

Circular Slide Rule (used by the "real geeks")

Depending on your age, some of the above will be a mystery to you.  Since I am told that they no long teach cursive in schools or typewriting, these will be ancient history to many of you.  The same is true for the two slide rules at the bottom- some of these things just as well might as well be cuneiform...

Sumerian Cuneiform writing (on a clay tablet)

Well, things have changed- and changed rapidly in the span of my short lifetime. We may use different tools than in previous generations, but inside, we are the same human beings, with the same generic needs.  Among them is the need to to pass on what we think and feel during our lives. Job is a good example of one such person....


Job, Chapter 19 (WEB [World English Bible] )
 23 “Oh that my words were now written!
Oh that they were inscribed in a book!
  24 That with an iron pen and lead
they were engraved in the rock forever!
  25 But as for me, I know that my Redeemer lives.
In the end, he will stand upon the earth.

Now matter how sophisticated mankind becomes, there will always be the need for a redeemer, because will all will eventually die, not matter what the date on the calendar. And who knows, some day we may actually go back to writing with pen and ink...
 



And before you ask- 

I was NOT ALIVE WHEN THIS WAS WRITTEN!!!!