6/24/15

From Gary... Step 11


For my weight-watchers leader, Kathy..

I remember that Kathy kept asking us (at weight-watchers) this past week: Why are you here? My answer is that I need to try to lose weight and frankly the meetings are a real encouragement for me to think about it- and if I think about it, I will eventually do it. This month, our topic is happiness, because if you are happy, then you make better decisions (including those about food choices). For me, this naturally led to the "Sermon on the mount", in which Jesus said...

Matthew, Chapter 5 (WEB)

 3  “Blessed are the poor in spirit, 
for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven. 
  4  Blessed are those who mourn, 
for they shall be comforted. 
  5  Blessed are the gentle, 
for they shall inherit the earth. 
  6  Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, 
for they shall be filled. 
  7  Blessed are the merciful, 
for they shall obtain mercy. 
  8  Blessed are the pure in heart, 
for they shall see God. 
  9  Blessed are the peacemakers, 
for they shall be called children of God. 
  10  Blessed are those who have been persecuted for righteousness’ sake, 
for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven. 

  11  “Blessed are you when people reproach you, persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely, for my sake.   12  Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven. For that is how they persecuted the prophets who were before you. 


At first glance these concepts seem like a contradiction in terms, but they are NOT!!!  For openers, "Blessed" is translated happiness by many Bible versions and this is fine. I like "Oh, the wonderful state of the man (with God) instead of "Blessed", but that is just me.  Happiness is something that is within you, something the world can never change. Like I said, if God is with you, HAPPINESS is YOURS. You will naturally act upon your surroundings by doing the things that will please God and therefore the picture at the top is appropriate.  Then there is that "talking less" part of the picture- that will be a hard one for me!!!

Perhaps there should be an 11th step- be more healthy... humm, I am quite sure that I will hear about THAT ONE at the next WW meeting!!!!