6/17/15

From Gary... What you remember


Unless you lived in the capital region of upstate New York, this old broken down sign probably won't mean anything at all to you. However, it does to me. There was a time that I took my best girl to the drive-in here, every single Saturday night.  There were several cartoons, followed by two full-length movies and sometimes they even showed the movies again.  However, it wasn't until after my best girl became my wife that I ever could see them again (without getting in trouble with my future in-laws, that is). For over two decades now, it has become a storage facility for trailers, so it is only a memory- but what a memory!!!  

And the best memories are of people you genuinely care about; here is one example... 

1 Thessalonians, Chapter 1 (WEB)
 2  We always give thanks to God for all of you, mentioning you in our prayers,  3 remembering without ceasing your work of faith and labor of love and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, before our God and Father. 

Paul cared for the brethren at Thessalonica , and the proof of it is how he remembered them in his prayers. Why? Because of who they were and what they did (verse 3, above). It's memories of the sort of people like the Thessalonians that give me encouragement to lead the Christian life. And I quite frequently remember all those Christians at nearby Clifton Park, who, like the ones mentioned above are worth remembering and praying for.  

The drive-in is long gone, but I still can recall how beautiful my wife was in the flower of her youth and how wonderful it was to hear my children playing in the back of our station wagon when they were supposed to be watching "Mary Poppins". It's good to remember, it is even better to remember with love in your heart.

Jesus said...

John, Chapter 13 (WEB)
 34  A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, just like I have loved you; that you also love one another.   35  By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

What you remember is important!!!