11/27/15

From Gary... Looking in, looking out, and looking up


Looking at this picture, I was surprised to find myself thinking of that drill sergeant you see on television all the time (I don't know his name) saying something like: listen up, buttercup- the world doesn't revolve around YOU!!!  Ok, about this time you're thinking- How in the world does he get this? Well, Look at the picture. Notice the bright light is not focused on the man (even though he is in the approximate center of the picture) and the man is NOT STANDING IN THE LIGHT EITHER. Instead, he is focusing his attention on the sky (on what appears to be the milky way). Why do this? Because, BUTTERCUP, YOU are not the center of the universe, God is!!! And to view HIS handiwork is to put YOUR own worth in proper perspective.  And once you do THAT, you may just begin to see the value of others that inhabit this planet. Paul said...

Philippians, Chapter 2 (WEB)
 19  But I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, that I also may be cheered up when I know how you are doing.  20 For I have no one else like-minded, who will truly care about you.  21 For they all seek their own, not the things of Jesus Christ.  22 But you know the proof of him, that, as a child serves a father, so he served with me in furtherance of the Good News. 

Timothy was a Christian and what an example he was. Even though he was unsure of himself (Timid Timothy, as I like to think of him), yet he placed a priority on both "the things of Jesus Christ" and his brethren.  Like most Christians, he looked inward at his own spiritual condition, then outward beyond himself and finally upward to God. The result; service.  This is all basic stuff, I know, but absolutely necessary in the "boot camp" of Christianity.  As I reflect upon these things, I realize that somehow my name could be BUTTERCUP and that no matter how long I have been a Christian, it is a VERY GOOD THING TO GET BACK TO BASICS!!! 


A-T-T-E-N-T-I-O-N: LISTEN UP BUTTERCUP!!!!