6/7/16

Who is the Greater Fool? by Donny Weimar


http://www.oldpaths.com/Archive/Weimar/Donny/W/1969/thefool.html

Who is the Greater Fool?

I may be a fool, but I am wiser than most philosophers, for I have Christ and this is to be a wise fool. To those who ponder the nature of our existence and whether they can even know for certain that they themselves exist, I am a buffoon for my belief. But how can I see the beauty in a newborn child and not acknowledge the One who knit her in the womb? Where was the atheist when God said, "Let there be light" and it was so? Does he really believe he can verify the non-existence of a Creator? He cannot do so, for God is spirit and must be spiritually discerned. "But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned" (1 Corinthians 2:14).
The agnostic does not believe in pure reason because he thinks he must verify everything with his sensory observations. But, that 3 + 3 = 6 is purely a synthetic reason with no apples or oranges needed to conceptualize the math. And if I can know that 6 is the only warranted conclusion in the equation, then surely I know there is such a thing as absolute truth. By its own nature, truth cannot contradict itself, and anything standing at odds with it is error. So, I can at least know there is something absolute. And, if I knew I was wrong, I'd know something too, that I was in fact wrong. The Bible says God is truth. Thus, I understand that God's nature exists in every known fact.
To the fool then, I look like a fool. But who has greater folly than someone who denies that he owes his existence to the final Cause of our natural effect? "The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God' " (Psalm 14:1; 53:1 NKJV).
Donny Weimar


Published in The Old Paths Archive
(http://www.oldpaths.com)