12/14/16

OFF by Gary Rose

I imagine that a great many of you out there will not know what this image is. And that is quite understandable, since it hasn't been used for a long, long time. Even I don't know what it is called, but I DO know what it stands for- the end of a TV channels broadcast day. Now, if you know what its called, please tell me- I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW. But, even if I never find out, I know what it STANDS FOR, and for now that will have to do.

As a Christian, I don't know everything, but even after almost 40 years I still find myself learning (and hopefully retaining what I have learned). And one of the first things I learned when I became a Christian was to seek God and the things above and then to change old sinful habits.

Paul puts it this way in his letter to the Colossians...



Colossians, Chapter 3 (World English Bible)
 1 If then you were raised together with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated on the right hand of God.  2 Set your mind on the things that are above, not on the things that are on the earth.  3 For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.  4 When Christ, our life, is revealed, then you will also be revealed with him in glory. 

  5 Put to death therefore your members which are on the earth: sexual immorality, uncleanness, depraved passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.  6 For these things’ sake the wrath of God comes on the children of disobedience.  7 You also once walked in those, when you lived in them;  8 but now you also put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and shameful speaking out of your mouth.  9 Don’t lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old man with his doings,  10 and have put on the new man, who is being renewed in knowledge after the image of his Creator,  11 where there can’t be Greek and Jew, circumcision and uncircumcision, barbarian, Scythian, bondservant, or free person; but Christ is all, and in all.
Its easy to intellectualize following God and seeking after a heavenly ordained life-style, but its not so easy to turn off old habits. With God's help I shall continue to do this and never cease trying to be what God wants me to be. 

Like the TV symbol above I need to turn off (Paul uses "Put to death" in verse 5) old ways and keep them turned off. Remember this:OFF means OFF!!!

Never give up reaching for perfection!!!