3/28/17

Seeing genuine beauty by Gary Rose

What a beautiful flower! I wish I knew what the name of it was- just because. My wife didn't know either, so I am guessing it must be rare, but who knows? Anyway, I was taken aback by it at first glance- beautiful things do that!  

In addition to the above, I find it attractive because it seems to me that this picture is in false color. And I think that makes this photo even more unique!!

As I consider this beautiful "work of art", I wonder: What is genuine beauty, and what makes something beautiful in the first place? From intricate designs like those made by the "Etch-a-Schetch"of long ago to the subtle shades of hue which enhance the works of master artists, is beauty just in the "eye of the beholder", or is it something more than that?

If you have ever spent much time on facebook, then you probably seen those "where are they now" (before and after) series of pictures of stars from the 60's or 70's. A few people age very well, but most don't (especially if the time change is 40 years or more). And what about pregnancy- are ladies really more beautiful with bloated stomachs? For that matter, can a married woman celebrating her 60th wedding anniversary still be beautiful to her husband?

I think the answer to these questions can be found in Peter's first letter. Please read on and you decide....


1 Peter, Chapter 3 (World English Bible)
 1 In the same way, wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; so that, even if any don’t obey the Word, they may be won by the behavior of their wives without a word,  2 seeing your pure behavior in fear.  3 Let your beauty be not just the outward adorning of braiding the hair, and of wearing jewels of gold, or of putting on fine clothing;  4 but in the hidden person of the heart, in the incorruptible adornment of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God. (Emp. added, vss. 4 and 5, GDR) 5 For this is how in the past, the holy women who hoped in God also adorned themselves, being in subjection to their own husbands.  6 So Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord, whose children you now are, if you do well, and are not put in fear by any terror.


The answer to my questions is that God looks at the human heart, and so should we. External beauty is temporal, even if you are a movie star. And there is a glowing beauty of a pregnant lady that is amazing. In may, my Linda and I will be married 49 years and in some ways she is more attractive than the day I met her. Look inside, at the beauty which is not based on mere appearance and consider the beauty of the human heart and you will forget about the false color of youth and rejoice how God has molded the person you are on the inside (where it truly counts)!