3/6/17

Using imperfection by Gary Rose

The Bible tells the unvarnished TRUTH. That truth is sometimes unpleasant, as in the case of people we might think of as heroes (heroines). Instead of presenting an idealized portrayal of people used by God, the Scriptures just tells the truth about them, "warts n all"!!  

What is true about Bible characters is true of us. We have faults; God works with those shortcomings and helps us, molds us.

Just consider one of the Bible's main characters- Paul. He was in fact a murderer, but to me, he comes across as a hard man to work with, someone who at times could have an adamant (unyielding, stubborn) character (Acts 15: 36-41) . I wonder what could be the basis behind this? Could it be pride, or just plain stubbornness? 

Consider...

2 Corinthians, Chapter 12 (World English Bible)
  1 It is doubtless not profitable for me to boast. For I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.  2 I know a man in Christ, fourteen years ago (whether in the body, I don’t know, or whether out of the body, I don’t know; God knows), such a one caught up into the third heaven.  3 I know such a man (whether in the body, or outside of the body, I don’t know; God knows),  4 how he was caught up into Paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.  5 On behalf of such a one I will boast, but on my own behalf I will not boast, except in my weaknesses.  6 For if I would desire to boast, I will not be foolish; for I will speak the truth. But I refrain, so that no man may think more of me than that which he sees in me or hears from me.  7 By reason of the exceeding greatness of the revelations, that I should not be exalted excessively, a thorn in the flesh was given to me: a messenger of Satan to torment me, that I should not be exalted excessively. (emp. added vs.7 GDR) 8 Concerning this thing, I begged the Lord three times that it might depart from me.  9 He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Most gladly therefore I will rather glory in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest on me.
AND
1 Corinthians, Chapter 10 (World English Bible)
  1 Now I would not have you ignorant, brothers, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;  2 and were all baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea;  3 and all ate the same spiritual food;  4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of a spiritual rock that followed them, and the rock was Christ.  5 However with most of them, God was not well pleased, for they were overthrown in the wilderness.  6 Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.  7 Don’t be idolaters, as some of them were. As it is written, “The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.”  8 Let’s not commit sexual immorality, as some of them committed, and in one day twenty-three thousand fell.  9 Let’s not test Christ, as some of them tested, and perished by the serpents.  10 Don’t grumble, as some of them also grumbled, and perished by the destroyer.  11 Now all these things happened to them by way of example, and they were written for our admonition, on whom the ends of the ages have come.  12 Therefore let him who thinks he stands be careful that he doesn’t fall.

13 No temptation has taken you except what is common to man. God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted above what you are able, but will with the temptation also make the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. (emp. added vss. 12,13 GDR)
Paul was given a great intellect and had an almost fanatic enthusiasm for God.  I think Paul's "thorn in the flesh" was given to him to prevent him from being prideful. God helps us all in many ways and perhaps Paul's "thorn" was a good thing? If this is true, then God may help us through temptation in ways we will never truly understand.

Have faults, shortcomings? Love God and obey HIM and HE will help you overcome them. If HE could help Paul, HE can help us as well!!