7/28/17

Smile!!! by Gary Rose


While many of the pictures I share are unusual or perhaps even a bit shocking, I think I like these "Little Church Mouse" ones the best. Not exactly sure "why", but maybe it has something to do with their simplicity.  Humm, remember KISS (short for keep it simple stupid).

With that in mind, I turn to something a bit complex that is only complex because we make it so. Namely, the following, penned by Paul, the apostle of Jesus...

1 Corinthians, Chapter 9 (World English Bible)
 16 For if I preach the Good News, I have nothing to boast about; for necessity is laid on me; but woe is to me if I don’t preach the Good News.  17 For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward. But if not of my own will, I have a stewardship entrusted to me.  18 What then is my reward? That when I preach the Good News, I may present the Good News of Christ without charge, so as not to abuse my authority in the Good News.  19 For though I was free from all, I brought myself under bondage to all, that I might gain the more.  20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain those who are under the law;  21 to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law.  22 To the weak I became as weak, that I might gain the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I may by all means save some.  (emp. added vss. 20-22) 23 Now I do this for the sake of the Good News, that I may be a joint partaker of it.


Question: How could Paul actually mean what he says in the emboldened verses above and NOT be a hypocrite (or at least insincere)?

The answer that I can see as most reasonable is found in that "Little Church Mouse" picture. We all smile. And regardless of the language we speak, we communicate something akin to happiness. While happiness can take on various shades of meaning, yet its positive message is undeniable.

Paul is really saying that he looked for "common ground" to share the "GOOD NEWS" with others, no matter what their background. Is this really so surprising? After all, don't we ALL breathe the same air, live on the same planet, want our children to be protected and happy, etc.. 

A smile is a direct portal to the human heart, the most pleasant of super-highways to traverse. And check out the road-signs along the way, I think you will come to realize that they are placed there by none other that God himself.

Thought for today...

Smile, you just might make a friend!!!