10/9/19

Cold Lightning? by Gary Rose



Sprite Lightning in HD
Image Credit & Copyright: Stephane Vetter (TWAN)
Explanation: This phenomenon occurs in the sky over our heads, not the sea. It is a type of lightning known as red sprite, and rarely has it ever been photographed in this detail. Even though sprites have been recorded for over 30 years, their root cause remains unknown. Some thunderstorms have them, but most don't. These mysterious bursts of light in the upper atmosphere momentarily resemble gigantic jellyfish. A few years ago high speed videos were taken detailing how red sprites actually develop. The featured image was captured last month in high definition from Italy. One unusual feature of sprites is that they are relatively cold -- they operate more like long fluorescent light tubes than hot compact light bulbs. In general, red sprites take only a fraction of a second to occur and are best seen when powerful thunderstorms are visible from the side.

The older I become, the more I realize that I am just an ordinary guy, with all the shortcomings that are associated with growing older. Everything has slowed down in my life, but fortunately, I am not senile, yet. I think what has helped me to keep most of my cognitive abilities is my curiosity. And this picture really made me think. How could lightning be cold? Their explanation sounds plausible enough...but?

I guess this is just another of those instances where I have to just think about it some more and hopefully it will make sense to me. Not to worry, its just lightning after all and it really doesn’t matter, anyway. But, what if I was confronted with teaching from the Bible that was hard to understand; what then? The Apostle Peter says...


2 Peter 3 ( World English Bible )
[15] Regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also, according to the wisdom given to him, wrote to you; [16] as also in all of his letters, speaking in them of these things. In those, there are some things that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unsettled twist, as they also do to the other Scriptures, to their own destruction. [17] You therefore, beloved, knowing these things beforehand, beware, lest being carried away with the error of the wicked, you fall from your own steadfastness. [18] But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and forever. Amen.
Beware, indeed. We must study and carefully understand what we are reading. The apostle Paul said to Timothy…

2 Timothy 2 ( Modern Literal Version )
[15] Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, an unashamed worker, cutting-straight the word of truth.

The next step – do it!