1/20/20

God's promises are forever by Gary Rose























Supernumerary Rainbows over New Jersey
Credit & Copyright: John Entwistle
Explanation: Yes, but can your rainbow do this? After the remnants of Hurricane Florence passed over the Jersey Shore, New JerseyUSA last month, the Sun came out in one direction but something quite unusual appeared in the opposite direction: a hall of rainbows. Over the course of a next half hour, to the delight of the photographer and his daughter, vibrant supernumerary rainbows faded in and out, with at least five captured in this featured single shot. Supernumerary rainbows only form when falling water droplets are all nearly the same size and typically less than a millimeter across. Then, sunlight will not only reflect from inside the raindrops, but interfere, a wave phenomenon similar to ripples on a pond when a stone is thrown in. In fact, supernumerary rainbows can only be explained with waves, and their noted existence in the early 1800s was considered early evidence of light's wave nature.

Today, I saw this picture once again and thought about how much I liked it, so, I went back to the NASA site and downloaded the explanation and this was fascinating. And I thought about the origin of rainbows in the Bible and here it is…


Genesis 9 ( The Apostle’s Bible )
 [8] And God spoke to Noah, and to his sons with him, saying,  [9] Behold, I establish My covenant with you, and with your seed after you,  [10] and with every living creature with you, of birds and of beasts, and with all the wild beasts of the earth, as many as are with you, of all that came out of the ark.  [11] And I will establish My covenant with you: never again shall all flesh die by the water of the flood, and never again shall there be a flood of water to destroy all the earth.  [12] And the Lord God said to Noah, This is the sign of the covenant which I set between Me and you, and between every living creature which is with you for perpetual generations.  [13] I set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be for a sign of covenant between Me and the earth.  [14] And it shall be when I gather clouds upon the earth, that My rainbow shall be seen in the cloud.  [15] And I shall remember My covenant, which is between Me and you, and between every living soul in all flesh, and there shall no longer be water for a deluge, so as to blot out all flesh.  [16] And My rainbow shall be in the cloud, and I will look to remember the everlasting covenant between Me and the earth, and between every living soul in all flesh, which is upon the earth.  [17] And God said to Noah, This is the sign of the covenant, which I have made between Me and all flesh, which is upon the earth.


The flood was God’s method of destroying all life on earth because mankind had become so evil that all but a few (Noah and his family) had to be destroyed. I love looking at rainbows because they remind me of God’s promise to never destroy the earth this way again. This rainbow is of particular interest because its ripple effect is a reminder that God’s promise is reflected down through the ages. Also,it reminds me of the old TV show “The days of our lives”. In its introduction, MacDonald Carey said”Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives.” Our lives may be fleeting, bu God’s promises are forever!


PS. Here is another one, that is even more dramatic!