5/13/20

A transplanted rainbow by Gary Rose



Over the years, I probably have posted at least a dozen times about rainbows;frankly, I love them. Their beauty, the magnificent way they fill the sky and the sheer wonder of them fills my heart with joy. There is just something so exciting about seeing a rainbow, that each time I see one, I just think- Today is going to be a wonderful day.


Rainbows come in varying shapes and sizes and occur in various heights and quantities (sometimes even three or more). They may even be vertical.


Most of all, they remind me of God and his promise not to destroy the Earth with the flood, ever again. I love the reassurance of the constant nature of God and his promises, which gives hope in this dreary world we live in.


BUT, here is a rainbow that is NOT in the heavens, but rather on Earth; how can this be? Puzzling indeed! After some thought I realized that it is not as difficult to understand as I thought at first, for this could just be a reflection of a rainbow in heaven. And, why not, for God has brought his promise to make a NEW COVENANT to Earth in the person and works of Jesus Christ.


Consider….


John 6 ( World English Bible )


38 "For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me. "

39 "This is the will of my Father who sent me, that of all he has given to me I should lose nothing, but should raise him up at the last day. "

40 "This is the will of the one who sent me, that everyone who sees the Son, and believes in him, should have eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.”"



If God can came to Earth, why not rainbows? God fulfills his promises to both Noah and all those who will fervently trust in HIM. I know, this rainbow is very unusual, but then again so is Jesus, for God only had one son (the rest of us are adopted into the family of God). And that son, loved us so much that he sacrificed himself on a cross for the likes of you and me. That is better than all the rainbows that I have ever seen!